Less than 24 hours after her loss to Holly Holm at UFC 193, Ronda Rousey took to Instagram to thank her supporters and assure them that she’ll return to the octagon after taking some time off.
“I just wanted to thank everyone for the love and support,” she wrote. “I appreciate the concerns about my health, but I’m fine. As I had mentioned before, I’m going to take a little bit of time, but I’ll be back.”
Holm, 34, shocked the sporting world by dominating the 28-year-old from Venice, subjecting Rousey to repeated punches in the first round before finishing her by knockout with a kick to the head that rendered Rousey briefly unconscious.
Dana White, the Ultimate Fighting Championship president, told reporters Sunday in Melbourne, Australia, that he’ll pursue a rematch between former champion Rousey and the still-unbeaten Holm.
“A rematch is what a lot of people want to see,” White said.
Rousey has earned an immediate rematch if she wants it, White said, but he wouldn’t commit to a date. White said he originally planned for Rousey to next fight at UFC 200 in July. She’s involved in a film project, starring in a remake of “Roadhouse” in the bouncer role that had been played by the late Patrick Swayze.
“I don’t think there’s any rush,” White said. “She still has a movie to film, doing all the things she has to do before she fights again. I wouldn’t [expect] her back anytime soon.”
Whenever the rematch occurs, Holm said, she’ll be ready for a tough fight from Rousey.
“Going into a rematch, there’s a confidence for the winner of the first fight, but the other is coming with a whole different heart and a whole different mind-set,” Holm said. “It’s a scarier fight.”