comscore Man accused of sex assault of 2 hikers appears in court | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man accused of sex assault of 2 hikers appears in court

  • HAWAII COUNTY POLICE Oran Kita

Bail has been kept at $891,000 for a man accused of sexually assaulting two teens who had been hiking in Hilo.

The Hawaii Tribune-Herald reports 36-year-old Oran Charles Kita made his initial appearance in Hilo District Court Monday. He faces several charges, including sexual assault, terroristic threatening and kidnapping.

Court documents say the alleged victims, ages 17 and 19, told police they had been hiking near Piihonua Bridge on Dec. 22 when they were approached by a man who told them there was a waterfall in the area. They said they were led to a remote area, where the suspect brandished a knife, tied them up and sexually assaulted them.

Both teens identified Kita in separate photographic lineups.

Kita is to appear in court today for a preliminary hearing.

Comments (17)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up