comscore Firefighters extinguish electrical fire in basement of downtown office building | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Firefighters extinguish electrical fire in basement of downtown office building

  • CINDY ELLEN RUSSELL/CRUSSELL@STARADVERTISER.COM

    Firefighters responded to a fire in the basement of the Judd Building on Fort Street Mall this afternoon.

Police were directing traffic on Merchant and Bethel streets this afternoon after firefighters responded to a fire in the basement of a downtown office building.

The fire was reported about 4:35 p.m. in the basement of the Judd Building at Merchant Street and Fort Street Mall. Firefighters found an electrical fire in an electrical vault and extinguished the fire upon arrival, according to radio communications.

Constructed in 1898, the building was Alexander & Baldwin’s principal office when the company incorporated in 1900, according to A&B Properties’ website.

Fire broke out in the basement of the building last year, on Sept. 4.

The cause of that fire was blamed on electrical arcing from heavy rains. Firefighters contained the fire in the basement. Damage was estimated at $21,000.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up