comscore Formula One reaches deal on making engines cheaper | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports Breaking

Formula One reaches deal on making engines cheaper

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo’s car was pictured in the pit prior to the first practice session at the ‘Sochi Autodrom’ Formula One circuit , in Sochi, Russia, today. The Formula one race will be held on Sunday. (AP Photo/Pavel Golovkin)

SOCHI, Russia » Formula One bosses have reached a deal to make engines cheaper and more standardized starting next season, which will help smaller teams, the FIA said today.

The agreement on power units — the combination of turbocharged engines and a hybrid energy recovery system — also contains an “obligation to supply” provision to stop teams being left without a power unit supplier.

However, that provision would not appear to apply in cases such as that of Red Bull last year, when the team tried to leave a contract with Renault but was unable to find an alternative.

The FIA said in a statement that teams will pay $1.14 million less for next season and $3.43 million less in 2018 when buying from the four manufacturers, Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda.

The FIA added that “a package of measures aimed at achieving performance convergence” will mean the scrapping of the controversial token system allowing each supplier a certain number of power unit updates each season, plus new restrictions on turbo boost and various engine parts.

The deal also affects the sound of the engines, which has been criticized since the 1.6-liter turbo engines were introduced in 2014.

“Manufacturers are currently conducting a promising research program into further improving the sound of the current power units, with the aim of implementation by 2018 at the latest,” the FIA said.

The agreement has the blessing of “all levels of the F1 governance structure,” the FIA added.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up