comscore UFC star Jones’ backup sample also fails doping test | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports Breaking

UFC star Jones’ backup sample also fails doping test

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Jon Jones spoke during a news conference on Thursday in Las Vegas.

LAS VEGAS >> A doping test on Jon Jones’ backup sample showed the same violation that forced the UFC to drop the interim light heavyweight champion from his main-event bout at UFC 200.

“I can confirm that Mr. Jones’ B sample results have been reported by the laboratory, and that the results confirm the findings of the A sample,” USADA spokesman Ryan Madden said today.

Jones was removed from the UFC’s landmark card Wednesday night after the potential doping violation was first discovered in a sample taken June 16. Jones and his management haven’t revealed the substance for which he tested positive, but the fighter tearfully denied knowingly using any performance-enhancing drugs.

Jones’ camp asked for a test of the backup sample, hoping for the slim chance that the first test had been a mistake. Jones claims he hasn’t changed supplements or taken anything illegal, and he passed seven other drug tests this year.

Jones’ failed test cost him millions and a chance to reclaim his undisputed 205-pound title in a rematch with Daniel Cormier at T-Mobile Arena. With the test results confirmed, Jones could face a multiyear suspension from USADA and the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Although Jones is widely considered the world’s best mixed martial artist, his career could be irreparably damaged after the latest major setback in a series of personal mistakes outside the cage.

He was suspended by the UFC for several months last year for his involvement in a hit-and-run accident. A few months earlier, he tested positive for cocaine use before his victory over Cormier in their first bout in January 2015.

Jones’ suspension was lifted in October, and he spoke extensively about his renewed focus. After Cormier had to drop out of their scheduled April rematch with an injury, Jones returned to competition with a victory over Ovince Saint Preux.

But Jones has fought only three times since late 2013, and he might not return to the cage for years.

UFC President Dana White aired his frustrations with Jones today in an interview on Fox Sports 1. White said he doesn’t want to speak to Jones, and he expressed disbelief in Jones’ inability to avoid banned substances, even if he took them inadvertently through nutritional supplements.

White also questioned Jones’ camp, suggesting he is surrounded by enablers of his bad behavior.

“Jon should have cleaned house a long time ago,” White told Fox Sports 1.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up