comscore 2 new arrests in Nice truck attack, as IS claim studied | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

2 new arrests in Nice truck attack, as IS claim studied

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    A teddy bear is laid with flowers and candles to honor the victims of an attack, on the Promenade des Anglais, near the area where a truck mowed through revelers in Nice, southern France.

PARIS >> French authorities have detained two more people in the investigation into the Bastille Day truck attack on the Mediterranean city of Nice that killed at least 84 people.

An official with the Paris prosecutor’s office, which oversees national terrorism investigations, said a man and a woman were detained Sunday morning in Nice but provided no details on their identities. The official said five people detained previously remain in custody.

Authorities are trying to determine whether truck driver Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian who had lived in Nice for years, was acting alone in Thursday night’s deadly attack.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack, though people close to him noted no signs of radicalism, just anger.

With scores still hospitalized, France’s health minister is visiting Nice.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comment (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up