comscore Crew members saved from burning ship | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News | Newswatch

Crew members saved from burning ship

The Coast Guard says it rescued eight people from a burning ship off Honolulu.

The Coast Guard says the crew members are safe after being rescued Friday from a burning commercial fishing vessel named Lady Anna.

The Lady Anna was about 2 miles south of Honolulu Harbor when the Coast Guard overheard radio transmission about the fire.

A Coast Guard patrol boat was nearby, and its crew arrived to find black smoke billowing from the engine room. Rescuers fought and extinguished the fire.

The Coast Guard will investigate the cause.

Longliners hit quota on tuna

HILO >> Hawaii’s longline fisheries in the central Pacific have reached their bigeye tuna quota much earlier than expected for the second year in a row.

Eric Kingma, international fisheries enforcement coordinator for the Western Pacific Fisheries Management Council, said this year’s higher catch rate is in line with last year’s, which he had thought to be “an anomaly” because of El Nino.

“It’s the same number of hooks (in the water),” said Hawaii Longline Association President Sean Martin. Catch rates are 40 percent higher than historical numbers, he said.

This year’s closure of the western and central Pacific longline grounds starts Friday and runs through 2016. The eastern Pacific region will close Monday to boats larger than 24 meters long.

“For some of the smaller boats, it’s quite a run for them,” Martin told the Hawaii Tribune-Herald.

About three-fourths of the 130 active boats in Hawaii’s longline fleet will still be able to fish in eastern waters.

Last year, the fisheries closed in August, the earliest the region had ever been restricted.

Because the longline fleet reached the 3,500-metric ton catch limit early this year, they will have to travel farther to catch bigeye tuna. That could mean that handline fishermen on Hawaii island will see higher prices for their product.

“The first fish they land is going to be that much older by the time it gets to the block,” said Suisan Division Manager Kyle Sumner.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up