comscore Firefighters deal with burning Palolo home containing ammunition, fuel | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Firefighters deal with burning Palolo home containing ammunition, fuel

  • LEILA FUJIMORI / LFUJIMORI@STARADVERTISER.COM

    Firefighters were about 150 to 200 yards from the property early this afternoon, keeping a safe distance away due to the hazardous items on the property. The home is considered “a total loss.”

  • BRUCE ASATO / BASATO@STARADVERTISER.COM

    The Honolulu Fire Department’s helicopter makes a water drop on a structure fire deep in the back of Palolo Valley.

A burning home on a private Palolo road and containing a large amount of ammunition has presented daunting challenges to Honolulu firefighters today.

The fire started at about 10:42 a.m. at 3040 Lai Road, deep in Palolo valley. Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said a 78-year-old man was home at the time of the fire and escaped without injury.

A private road leads to the home, causing challenges for fire trucks trying to reach the structure. Also, the resident notified firefighters of a high amount of ammunition and propane and butane tanks inside the home.

HFD’s Air 1 helicopter is conducting water drops on and around the home. Jenkins said the fire is contained and they are waiting for the blaze to burn out until firefighters access the property to extinguish it.

“The safest course of action is to wait until it burns out,” said Jenkins.

Firefighters were about 150 to 200 yards from the property early this afternoon, keeping a safe distance away due to the hazardous items on the property.

Jenkins said the home is considered “a total loss.” The fire did not pose a threat to other residents or homes in the valley.

The cause of the fire and damage estimate has yet to be determined.

The American Red Cross said its volunteers were responding to assist the resident.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (5)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • Poor guy. I read elsewhere that he and his dog both got out safely. I’m really glad for that.

    It’s a good time to step back and say ‘thank you’ to the people among us who do work on behalf of us all. Today I’m thinking of firefighters, yet there are so many others out there for whom a simple and heart-felt thank you are in order.

  • Had there been reliable information that a person was trapped inside the dwelling, someone might have had to make a decision to attempt a rescue anyway. The more serious hazard, given the protective gear firefighters wear, would have been the flammable gas canisters. I’m assuming, of course, that only small arms ammunition was also inside.

    • Being able to purchase however many things that are legally available for sale is called freedom of choice in this country. While his age would tend to argue against it applying here, somebody heavily into sport shooting can consume many thousands of cartridges a year.

      And after all, do we not all stock up when there’s a good sale? Same goes for purchasers of ammunition and reloading components.

Scroll Up