comscore Fire hits concession stand at Waipahu High | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
911 Report | Hawaii News

Fire hits concession stand at Waipahu High


    A concession stand near Waipahu High School’s football field was damaged in a fire early Friday morning. Assistant athletic director Milton Takenaka and athletic director Stacie Nii inspected the damage Friday.

Firefighters responded to a suspicious fire early Friday that damaged a concession stand near the football field at Waipahu High School.

Firefighters responded to the fire shortly after 2:35 a.m. after security personnel at the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation’s Rail Operations Center saw images of the blaze from surveillance cameras.

The center, located near Leeward Community College, overlooks the high school’s football field.

Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said the blaze was brought under control by 2:55 a.m. and extinguished shortly after.

No injuries were reported.

Jenkins said the roof of the concrete structure was destroyed. Damage is estimated at $50,000.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Police have initiated an arson investigation.

Diver found unresponsive off Barbers Point

A scuba diver was in critical condition Saturday after he was pulled unresponsive from the water off Barbers Point.

Honolulu Ocean Safety rescue watercraft operators retrieved the diver, described as a man in his 60s, about a mile offshore and brought him to shore, where they performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

The paramedics performed advanced lifesaving treatment and transported the man to an area emergency room.

Kaiulani school cafeteria damaged in blaze

Police are investigating a fire that occurred at Kaiulani Elementary School that fire offcials say was arson.

Shortly before 6 p.m. Thursday, 18 firefighters responded to a report of smoke emanating from the elementary school’s cafeteria building at 783 N. King St.

Honolulu fire spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said firefighters saw a blaze in the cafeteria’s ceiling and roof. They brought it under control at 6:07 p.m. and extinguished it by 6:23 p.m.

A section of the roof and several ventilation windows were damaged. Jenkins said the cafeteria was closed at the time of the fire.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up