comscore Waipahu house fire displaces family, hospitalizes one, and kills family dog | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Waipahu house fire displaces family, hospitalizes one, and kills family dog

A stove left on started a house fire that displaced a family of three and killed a pet dog today in Waipahu, firefighters said.

The fire started at about 8:50 a.m. in the 94-200 block of Kihikihi Place while the family was away, said Honolulu Fire Capt. David Jenkins.

Two people at the scene were treated for smoke inhalation, Jenkins said. It was not clear how the people were involved in the incident, but they were not firefighters, Jenkins said. Paramedics said one of the two treated was a 42-year-old woman, who was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

The fire erupted after the kitchen stove was inadvertently turned on and ignited items left on the stove, Jenkins said. The flames then spread from the kitchen to other parts of the home.

About 25 firefighters responded and found light smoke coming from the attic of the two-story structure. Firefighters brought the fire under control within five minutes and extinguished it shortly afterwards.

The American Red Cross was assisting the displaced family.

A damage estimate was not immediately available.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up