Eight people were transported to Hilo Medical Center this morning after a fire broke out at the Kauhale Olu Apartments in Pepeekeo.
The Hawaii County Fire Department said all of the affected occupants of the residential apartment complex were confirmed to be out of the building. The eight were treated and transported by EMS to Hilo Medical Center.
HFD said the fire, which was caused by unattended cooking, was most severe on the upper floors of the two story four apartment building. The upper floors were “fully involved” and the additional apartment building was threatened. HFD said its crew helped lower apartment occupants save some personal items.
HFD said the initial alarm for the structure fire was around 5:28 a.m. The first unit arrived on the scene at 5:40 a.m.
The building suffered severe fire and water damage. The Red Cross and building representatives are assisting displaced occupants.