comscore Ewa Beach house fire sparked by cigarette-smoking gear | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Ewa Beach house fire sparked by cigarette-smoking gear

The Honolulu Fire Department has determined unattended smoking materials found in a bedroom caused a fire at a home in Ewa Beach.

At about 4:28 p.m. Tuesday, more than 20 firefighters responded to the fire at a two-story home at 91-1320 Kamahoi St. When they arrived, they observed black smoke emerging from the second-floor window of a bedroom.

Five people who were inside the home safely escaped the residence before firefighters arrived. Firefighters brought the blaze under control at 4:46 p.m. and extinguished it within 10 minutes.

No injuries were reported.

Honolulu Fire Spokesman Capt. Scot Seguirant said ashtrays, lighters, packs of cigarettes and other smoking materials were found in the bedroom where the fire originated.

Damage was estimated at $187,000 to the structure and $8,000 to its contents.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up