The Red Cross is assisting 11 people, including an infant, displaced by a fire today that caused $330,000 in damage to an Aiea duplex, Honolulu Fire Department said.
The fire was reported at 3:53 p.m., and fire units arrived to find a two-story residential duplex with black smoke coming from a second-floor window at the back of the building at 99-1068 Kahua Place.
A man heard popping sounds coming from a second-floor bedroom and found the fire there, HFD said in a news release.
The man then fought the fire using a garden hose through an exterior window.
Firefighters managed to suppress the flames and prevent them from spreading.
Another man and a woman with an infant managed to escape uninjured.
Thirty firefighters from nine units brought the blaze under control at about 4:15 p.m., and extinguished it at 5:02 p.m.
One man received minor burns to his foot after stepping on hot glass, HFD said.
Damage was estimated at $300,000 to the structure and $30,000 to its contents.
Five men, five women and an infant lived at the duplex.