Cause determined in Foster Village house fire; 8 occupants escape, 3 puppies die
  • Sunday, June 16, 2019
  • 80°
Top News

Cause determined in Foster Village house fire; 8 occupants escape, 3 puppies die


    Firemen investigate the scene of a house fire in Foster Village today.

A fire that resulted in more than $670,000 in damage to a Foster Village residence on Wednesday was caused by a faulty power strip, according to Honolulu Fire Department investigators.

The fire was reported at 10:24 p.m. at 1238 Haloa Drive. HFD dispatched 10 units staffed with 38 personnel to fight the blaze.

Three men, two women, two girls and a boy escaped the home safely, although one of the men sustained minor burns. Three puppies died in the fire.

The residence was not equipped with a working fire alarm.

Fire investigators determined that the fire was caused by electrical arcing in a power strip. Damage was estimated at $624,131 to the structure and $47,000 to its contents.

HFD is advising residents to make sure their smoke alarms are working by testing alarms monthly, replacing batteries once a year or when a low-battery alarm chirps, and performing other maintenance as the National Fire Protection Association and smoke alarm manufacturers recommend.

“And of course, a smoke alarm disabled because of nuisance alarms provides no protection at all,” the department said in a release.

Comments (5)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up