Microwave the cause of morning fire at North Shore home
  • Monday, March 18, 2019
  • 80°

911 Report| Hawaii News| Top News

Microwave the cause of morning fire at North Shore home

ADVERTISING

A malfunctioning microwave oven caused a fire at a two-story home near Sunset Beach on Oahu’s North Shore this morning.

The Honolulu Fire Department responded to reports of a fire at 58-020 Kapuai Place at 7:08 a.m. with seven fire units staffed with 23 firefighters. Upon arrival, they found heavy smoke coming from the home.

Two adult males, an adult female, and their pet dog escaped injuries, and were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and the odor of smoke, according to HFD.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control at 7:19 a.m., and fully extinguish it by 8:20 a.m.

HFD investigators determined that the fire was accidental, caused by electrical arcing in a microwave. Fire damages are estimated at $199,000 to the structure and $23,000 to its contents.

Comments (0)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up