comscore Appeals court throws out rapper Meek Mill’s conviction, grants new trial | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Appeals court throws out rapper Meek Mill’s conviction, grants new trial

  • GREG ALLEN/INVISION/ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Meek Mill made an announcement, Tuesday, of the launch of Dream Chasers record label in a joint venture with Roc Nation, at the Roc Nation headquarters in New York. A Pennsylvania appeals court has thrown out rapper Meek Mill’s decade-old conviction in a drug and gun case.

A Pennsylvania appeals court today overturned rapper Meek Mill’s conviction in a drug and gun case that has kept the rapper on probation for a decade and made him a celebrity crusader for criminal justice reform.

The unanimous three-judge opinion granted the rapper a new trial because of new evidence of alleged police corruption and said he would likely be acquitted if the case is retried.

“We conclude the after-discovered evidence is of such a strong nature and character that a different verdict will likely result at a retrial,” the opinion from the Pennsylvania Superior Court said.

The entertainer whose real name is Robert Rihmeek Williams said he was “ecstatic that justice prevailed.”

He called the legal ordeal “mentally and emotionally challenging.”

The court also overturned the trial judge’s parole violation findings that sent the entertainer back to prison in 2017 for five months, and, in a rare move, pulled her off the case.

Common Pleas Judge Genece Brinkley had kept Williams on probation for 10 years over his arrest in 2007 at age 19. He is now 32 and has been called back to court repeatedly over technical violations of his parole, many of them involving travel issues as he has risen to fame under the mentorship of music mogul Jay-Z.

Williams became a symbol for criminal justice reform after Brinkley sent him back to prison in 2017.

The officer who testified at his trial said Williams pointed a gun at him during the arrest outside his southwest Philadelphia home. Williams has denied pointing a gun at police.

In court last week, Assistant District Attorney Paul George said the office wouldn’t call officer Reginald Graham due it its “legal, ethical and constitutional obligations.”

Calls seeking comment from prosecutors about whether they plan to retry the case were placed today.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up