Honolulu firefighters have determined a stove left on started a house fire today in Kalihi and caused about $489,000 in damage.
Eight people were displaced after the fire engulfed the single-story home at 903 Winant St., said Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Scot Seguirant.
Forty-seven firefighters with 12 units responded to the family home at about 12:35 p.m. and found it fully involved with fire.
Firefighters extinguished the fire at 1:17 p.m.
Three people were home when the blaze broke out and they escaped after hearing someone yelling, Seguirant said.
The American Red Cross was assisting the displaced residents, including seven adults and one boy.
On Thursday, a stove left on started a fire at the Ilikai Hotel & Luxury Suites, but that fire was extinguished by fire sprinklers. The house in today’s fire did not have smoke detectors or sprinklers, Seguirant said.