September 8, 2019
| Updated on January 19, 2020 at 6:47 pm
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / NOVEMBER 17, 1964
The Royal Guard of monarchy days stands inspection outside Iolani Palace on the first anniversary of
the resurrection of the Guard by members of the Hawaii Air National Guard. Gov. John A. Burns, front,
reviews the troops. The uniforms are the same as those worn in monarchy days, and all commands are
given in Hawaiian.
STARADVERTISER / DECEMBER 15, 1965
Negotiating committees of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union and sugar plantation
companies held their first meeting to write a new labor contract covering 10,500 sugar workers.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / JANUARY 6, 1965
Obsolete tunnels, once part of Oahu’s defense system, were demolished by men of Company A, 65th Engineer
Battalion, to make room for a new 1.8-mile section of Kaena Point Road.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / AUGUST 17, 1973
More than 30 acres of Oahu will feel the energetic play of children when four new public elementary
schools open. Two of them will serve the Windward area. The others are in Leeward and North Shore
communities. Kaelepulu Elementary in Kailua is expected to draw 154 students, and Shirley Yamashiro
has been named principal.
STARADVERTISER / DECEMBER 26, 1953
The former beach estate of George R. Carter was developed into a subdivision of 25 lots, which were all
sold except for those on the beach. According to Harry L. Choy, Realtor for Kaalawai Developers, the
beach land was valued at $3.50 a square foot for a total of close to $300,000.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / OCTOBER 14, 1959
A trip through Kawailoa dairy at Waialua will show how cows tell time, the importance of keeping records
on each cow from the day she is born, how cows take a bath and how music soothes the “savage”
cow. The dairy is 26 miles from Honolulu on Kamehameha Highway, just beyond Haleiwa Park, and is
open to visitors.
STAR-ADVERTISER ARCHIVE / MAY 24, 1973
The Lahaina-Kaanapali & Pacific Railroad is being revived and will be rolling again in a few weeks. The
little sugar cane train, which provided scenic joy rides for tourists, was shut down in October after more
than two years of daily 6-mile trips.