Linebacker Manti Te’o’s NFL comeback could begin as soon as Wednesday.
Te’o, who was without a job when the season started three months ago, will return to the injury-plagued New Orleans Saints, where he played in 2017 and ‘18, the New Orleans Times-Picayune and New Orleans Advocate reported today.
The reports said his signing is expected to be made official on Wednesday’s transaction report. The Saints are also scheduled to update their injury list Wednesday, which is expected to reflect additions to what has been a rash of injuries to the Saints’ linebacking corps.
The report said Kiko Alonso (thigh) and A.J. Klein (undisclosed) did not finish last week’s game against Atlanta due to injuries. Moreover, the Saints previously placed two linebackers, Alex Anzalone and Kaden Elliss, on injured reserve this season.
Te’o was a second round draft pick of the then-San Diego Chargers in 2013 after being an All-American at Notre Dame. He was the runnerup to Johnny Manziel for the 2012 Heisman Trophy.
He signed a two-year free agent contract with the Saints in 2017, where he started 11 games and was credited with 62 tackles. But he was dropped from the rotation part way through the ‘18 season and was inactive for much of the second half of the season.