comscore Comedian Andy Dick says he’d return to testify in New Orleans assault case | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
News

Comedian Andy Dick says he’d return to testify in New Orleans assault case

NEW ORLEANS >> Comedian Andy Dick told a New Orleans news outlet today that he’s willing to return to the city and testify against a man accused of knocking him unconscious last year.

Dick spoke to The Times-Picayune/The New Orleans Advocate by telephone a day after the district attorney’s office in New Orleans said it was dropping the case.

A spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said that Dick had not been cooperative and had not kept in touch with prosecutors.

Dick did not deny losing touch with prosecutors, but he said it was because of his poor mental and physical state since the encounter with the suspect, David Hale.

The comedian said he is afraid of Hale, “But I want him held accountable.”

Video recorded outside a French Quarter night club in August showed the comedian being knocked unconscious.

A district attorney spokesman, Ken Daley, said Tuesday that the case could be revived if Dick reestablishes contact with the district attorney’s office.

Hale’s attorneys, Michael Kennedy and Miles Swanson, said Tuesday that the district attorney’s office made the right call to not prosecute.

“If anything further comes from this matter, we don’t expect any different outcome, and we remain committed to our client’s vindication,” Kennedy told the news outlet Wednesday.

Hale, 47, had told police he struck Dick, 54, after the comedian grabbed his genitals. Dick denied that in Wednesday’s interview, saying that after he finished his set in the club, Hale came up and requested a picture with him. Dick said he rolled his eyes when Hale lifted his shirt and asked the comedian to place his hand on Hale’s bare stomach — but Dick did it to please someone he thought was a fan.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up