comscore Letters: Plan unfair to residents traveling interisland; Irresponsible Trump puts himself above all; Electoral College diminishes value of vote | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Editorial | Letters

Letters: Plan unfair to residents traveling interisland; Irresponsible Trump puts himself above all; Electoral College diminishes value of vote

While recognizing the severity of the pandemic and its effect on our island population, I believe it is very wrong for the state to open for trans-Pacific travelers with testing and no quarantining, but not to residents needing to travel interisland.

There are many reasons Hawaii residents need to go interisland. As far as I can figure from this information mess, if I need to go to Hawaii island, I should travel to the mainland, get tested, and fly to Hawaii island. Huh?

Stewart Carpenter

Kailua

 

Irresponsible Trump puts himself above all

President Donald Trump’s behavior from the very beginning of the pandemic has been a disgrace and wrong. The proof: Trump’s current diagnosis of COVID-19 and subsequent hospitalization at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.

If most people were presented with this scenario, a sane, logical individual would recognize the seriousness of this diagnosis and listen to the advice of his or her doctors. To underscore the seriousness of the disease in this 74-year-old, obese male, the list of medications being used should be warning enough.

In spite of this, our “stable genius” president left the presidential suite at Walter Reed for no other reason than to engage in a photo-op — driving around the grounds to wave to his fans. How irresponsible. How stupid.

Prior to this hospitalization, if there was any doubt as to what or who the president puts first, there should now be no doubt. It’s “I, me, my”!

Michael Diamant

Koloa, Kauai

 

Electoral College diminishes value of vote

In response to Eric Nedzweckas’ specious argument promoting the enduring value of the Electoral College (“Electoral College guards against mob rule in U.S.,” Star-Advertiser, Letters, Oct. 7), I’ll admit that state sovereignty was a key issue in the 18th century.

However, it is not clear to me today why a state line should diminish (or increase) the value of a citizen’s vote. He concludes that “51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49.”

Keep in mind that in 2016, 46.1% of American voters took away the rights of the other 53.9% when it chose the current ineffectual, narcissistic, deceitful and amoral president.

J. Marc Rosen

Kaneohe

 

Give front-line workers a restaurant card, too

Yes, the restaurant cards are a good idea and yes, the unemployed deserve this. But how about the front-line workers who have been working scared, stressed, tired and overworked? We would love to be treated to a restaurant meal.

Liz McCarthy

Kailua


EXPRESS YOURSELF

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser welcomes all opinions. Want your voice to be heard? Submit a letter to the editor.

>> Write us: We welcome letters up to 150 words, and guest columns of 500-600 words. We reserve the right to edit for clarity and length. Include your name, address and daytime phone number.

>> Mail: Letters to the Editor, Honolulu Star-Advertiser 7 Waterfront Plaza, 500 Ala Moana, Suite 210 Honolulu, HI 96813

>> Contact: 529-4831 (phone), 529-4750 (fax), letters@staradvertiser.com, staradvertiser.com/editorial/submit-letter

Use the online form below

(*) Indicates required field

Dear Editor,

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (47)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up