comscore Palolo building fire caused by unattended candle, HFD says
Top News

Palolo building fire caused by unattended candle, HFD says

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

UPDATE: Saturday 11:55 a.m.

The Honolulu Fire Department said its investigator has classified Friday’s fire at 1638-A 10th Ave. in Palolo, was accidental, and said the cause was an unattended candle.

The fire started in the garage, which had been converted into a spare bedroom, HFD said.

The fire caused an estimated $330,000 in damage to the property and its contents.

Occupants were alerted by a smoke alarm and there were no injuries or fatalities reported, according to HFD.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE

Honolulu firefighters extinguished a residential building fire in Palolo Friday afternoon.

The Honolulu Fire Department received a 911 call about 12:40 p.m. for a fire near 1638-A 10th Ave.

Firefighters responded a few minutes later to find “heavy black smoke” coming from a three-story residential building behind the Number One Store, HFD officials said.

No one was in the building when firefighters arrived and they extinguished the blaze at around 1:20 p.m.

The American Red Cross provided assistance to those who were displaced from the fire.

HFD is investigating the cause of the fire and no smoke detectors were seen inside the house, officials said.

Comments (7)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up