Candle causes fire at house in Pepeekeo, Hawaii island
May 26, 2017 | 80° | Check Traffic

Top News

Candle causes fire at house in Pepeekeo, Hawaii island

  • generic_Hawaii-fire-logo.jpg


An unattended candle was the cause of a fire that damaged a Pepeekeo house this morning, the Hawaii County Fire Department reported.

The family of five, with two adults and three young children, escaped by the time firefighters arrived at the scene.

A fire spokesman said the house was received 50 percent fire damage and the remainder of the house had smoke and water damage.

Damage to the structure was estimated at $84,000.

The fire department received a call at 8:09 a.m. The first unit arrived at 8:20 a.m.

Fifteen firefighters brought the blaze under control by 8:30 a.m.

Two back bedrooms were most heavily involved, the fire department said.

The Red Cross responded to offer help to the family.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email