Quantcast

Wednesday, July 30, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Sam Adams pulls out of Boston St. Patrick's parade over ban of gays

By Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 09:42 a.m. HST, Mar 14, 2014



BOSTON » The maker of Sam Adams beer announced Friday that it is withdrawing its sponsorship of Boston's St. Patrick's Day parade because organizers exclude gay groups.

Boston Beer Co.'s decision came a day after a bar in Boston's South End said it would no longer serve Sam Adams beer because of the brewer's affiliation with the parade, which is scheduled for Sunday.

Mayor Martin Walsh and U.S. Rep. Stephen Lynch have been trying to broker a deal that would have allowed a gay group to march, but those negotiations broke down.

"We were hopeful that both sides of this issue would be able to come to an agreement that would allow everyone, regardless of orientation, to participate in the parade. But given the current status of the negotiations, we realize this may not be possible," Boston Beer Co. said in its statement. "We share these sentiments with Mayor Walsh, Congressman Lynch and others and therefore we will not participate in this year's parade."

The brewer said it would continue to sponsor the annual St. Patrick's Day Breakfast, which is regularly attended by most of the state's major politicians. That is also on Sunday.

A Boston Beer Co. spokeswoman did not immediately return a call.

The parade organizers' phone went unanswered Friday.

The Irish-American mayor said he would not march in the parade unless gay groups were allowed to march.

He tried to broker a deal between the gay rights advocacy group MassEquality and the organizers, the South Boston Allied War Veterans Council. A 1995 U.S. Supreme Court decision ruled that the council could include or exclude whichever groups it wanted.

A sticking point was MassEquality's request that its members be allowed to carry banners or signs identifying themselves as gay, which organizers did not want.

Organizers said they had been "misled," because LGBT Veterans for Equality, an affiliate of MassEquality, was not a recognized veterans' organization.

The parade, one of the largest St. Patrick's Day parades in the nation, draws as many as 1 million spectators to South Boston






 Print   Email   Comment | View 37 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(37)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
HanabataDays wrote:
It's a start. Now who else is gonna pull out because of the drunks?
on March 14,2014 | 09:50AM
1local wrote:
boycott Sam Adams beer if you are not happy...
on March 14,2014 | 12:24PM
LKK56 wrote:
I will drink Sam Adams for now on!!
on March 14,2014 | 03:45PM
blkdrgn wrote:
Being gay is fine and I have no problems but why do you have to have flags and signs telling everyone? I don't go waving signs around saying I'm straight. It's not a big deal anymore if you are gay.
on March 14,2014 | 09:54AM
kapoleitalkstory wrote:
As long as you don't know about gays you are okay with them? That is what we call homophobia... The reason you do not have to waive a straight pride flag (there is no such thing by the way except maybe the confederate flag) is because you are not discriminated against because you are straight - you have never been denied housing, a job, a place to eat or a marriage license all because of YOUR sexual orientation. Homophobia is still alive and well and until it is gone the LGBT community needs to be as visible as possible and that means they are NOT excluded from parades, denied getting a job, refused a marriage license or denied a place to live.
on March 14,2014 | 10:16AM
2NDC wrote:
Personal life choices have their consequences. If you choose to live a certain way knowing that society will treat you differently, then you need to deal with the consequences. For example, I know a lady who likes to do things with cats. People call her the "creepy cat lady". I find it offensive to see a lady licking a cat's reproductive organs. Society as a whole does not condone such behavior. Yet the lady continues to live in her own little world and sit on the public sidewalk licking cats in their reproductive organs. People treat her differently due to her lifestyle. So far it seems that she's ok with the way she's being treated.
on March 14,2014 | 10:33AM
grantos wrote:
It’s a pity that your prejudice makes you think that your comparison of gay people (i.e., consenting adults) with that of a woman that licks cat genitals is acceptable.
on March 14,2014 | 10:44AM
Anonymous wrote:
Nothing to do with prejudice . people have there own idea of what normal to them and what strange. like that old lady gross who does that. many see. look how people look down on folks who do not get married the gay life style as strange and not normal. just like the emo “lifestyle many think that it strange and not normal and many other type of life styles. people who do not believe in marriage people find that wrong among other things. ;live your life how ever you want to and be happy. stop trying to force it on other or trying to make them feel it normal or ok.. it ok and normal for you not everyone else
on March 14,2014 | 11:33AM
2NDC wrote:
Exactly my point. I personally don't care either way what someone does. What does concern me is when they try to impose their lifestyle onto me. I personally find it repulsive for two men to have intimate relations. If others wish to do it and don't attempt to make me watch or participate, I really don't care. As with the lady. She once told me "don't knock it until you try it". I told her "no thanks ma'am, I'll pass". She laughed and was cool with my personal decision.
on March 14,2014 | 11:42AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
You know what I find repulsive? Watching someone pick their nose. You know what I do when it looks like someone's about to? I look away. You should try it.
on March 14,2014 | 11:59AM
hawaiiwalter wrote:
People don't choose to be gay. If you don't know what you're talking about...why talk?
on March 14,2014 | 04:13PM
AhiPoke wrote:
Since when is sexual preference a good reason to march in a St. Patrick's Day parade? It has nothing to do with the parade's theme.
on March 14,2014 | 11:02AM
hawaiiwalter wrote:
They are all battle veterans who have fought for our country and the military group is the sponsor of the parade. That's why they want to march.
on March 14,2014 | 04:15PM
hawaiikone wrote:
And if any group has earned the right to include only who they choose, it's them.
on March 14,2014 | 08:16PM
Anonymous wrote:
why no such thing as a straight and proud banner. do we not have the right to be proud and straight? As far as discriminated everyone has been discriminated in some way or form at some point or time. folks from all races and life styles have been discriminated against . so that pity card is old. folks will always have there own idea of what normal and what not.. what they find strange and what they do not.. what right and normal for one person is not right or normal for another. so be happy what ever life style you live. and stop trying to force others to say it right or normal
on March 14,2014 | 12:40PM
MillionMonkeys wrote:
No more beer until they come out in support of Creepy Cat Lady!!
on March 14,2014 | 03:32PM
kukui_nut wrote:
Both groups have their rights. Moving on...
on March 14,2014 | 11:18AM
Anonymous wrote:
Just picture how mad they get if we had a straight parade . or all straights would hold signs when they walked in parades saying straight and proud
on March 14,2014 | 11:35AM
GooglyMoogly wrote:
I don't think "they" would be mad. "They" get mad when event organizers refuse to include "them" for no other reason than who "they" love.
on March 14,2014 | 11:58AM
Anonymous wrote:
ive seen it on face book. some one started a straight and proud post. and it had likes in the thousands. it anger they gay folks . . with equal amount of angry comments
on March 14,2014 | 12:42PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Personally I like to see it when a corporation actually stands up for something it believes in.
on March 14,2014 | 11:54AM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Ditto. You like what they stand for and their product. You don't like what they stand for? Don't. Good for them.
on March 14,2014 | 12:55PM
serious wrote:
Agreed completely. I wonder is Obama will invite the two groups in for a beer???
on March 14,2014 | 02:47PM
BuhByeAloha wrote:
It's not so much that Sam Adams believes in Gay rights and watching dudes run around in sparkly speedos, than a successful company trying to look P.C. so the general public buys their beer.
on March 14,2014 | 07:55PM
primo1 wrote:
Great beer.
on March 14,2014 | 11:55AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Exactly.
on March 14,2014 | 01:49PM
kkelli4u wrote:
boycott, those that don't support LGBT
on March 14,2014 | 12:55PM
Anonymous wrote:
I love the LGBT mentality accept and support or else . Victims i doubt it .Bully is more like it. Every one does not have to support your cause we all free to support what ever cause we may believe in.. Support your cause all you want more power to you but stop trying to force other to do it
on March 14,2014 | 01:49PM
AniMatsuri wrote:
One bar(probably a "gay" one) threatens not to serve a certain beer and the makers freak out and pull out of the sponsoring the parade. They may get some great PR over this but I doubt its going to grow sales at all. Imagine the tone of this article if a bar refused to sell a brand of beer because the makers were big supporters of homosexual causes.
on March 14,2014 | 02:31PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
Or maybe Sam Adams opted out because they actually, really DON'T believe in the exclusionary actions of the parade organizers. It's not ALWAYS about the money.
on March 14,2014 | 03:03PM
juscasting wrote:
I prefer Kona Long Boards and Heinekens. Don't care if I drink them with straight people, gay people, people from outer space; as long as we all have a good time!
on March 14,2014 | 03:22PM
hawaiiwalter wrote:
The parade is sponsored by a military group. Those who want to march are all combat veterans. If they could fight and die for our country, they should be allowed to at least march in the parade.
on March 14,2014 | 04:17PM
8082062424 wrote:
If that the case march as combat veterans not gay or straight but just combat veterans combat veterans
on March 14,2014 | 05:05PM
Ronin006 wrote:
I really like Sam Adams Boston Larger. I was down to my last 6-pack and was about to buy another case when I read the news about Sam Adams pulling out of Boston’s St Patrick’s Day parade, so I opened the entire 6-pack and poured it in poured down the toilet. I do not like being coerced or intimidated to accept something with which I disagree, and that is what Sam Adams is trying to do.
on March 14,2014 | 04:41PM
IAmSane wrote:
Wow, you poured all your beer down the toilet? How'd you get to be so edgy?
on March 14,2014 | 05:01PM
DowntownGreen wrote:
And you are trying to coerce them in the same way. You both have that right. What is unforgivable is that you wasted perfectly good beer.
on March 14,2014 | 10:10PM
AmbienDaze wrote:
This article brought to mind Dave Chappelle's Samuel Jackson beer commercial farce.
on March 14,2014 | 08:50PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News