Quantcast
  

Thursday, April 17, 2014         

ELECTION 2012


 Print   Email   Comment | View 263 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Caldwell and Cayetano react to ads

The ex-governor wants his mayoral rival to reject attacks

By Gordon Y.K. Pang

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:05 p.m. HST, Oct 24, 2012


A day after mayoral candidate Ben Caye­tano sued a third-party business and labor group for libel, opponent Kirk Caldwell said he's also seen enough of negative campaigning and wants to focus on issues affecting the city.

"Enough already … 'nuff … let's move on," Caldwell told reporters Tuesday after a forum at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel featuring the two candidates and sponsored by the Rotary Club of Hono­lulu.

"I don't like negative campaigning or advertising," Caldwell said. "You don't see that from my campaign, nor do I talk about it in any way."

Caldwell said he did not like that the publicity over the negative campaigning was deflecting attention from other issues.

"I'm running on sewers and water and road repaving and taking away of our garbage," he said.

But he did not do what Cayetano said he should: denounce the ads by the Pacific Resource Partnership political action committee. Instead, Caldwell noted that third-party organizations supporting Caye­tano's campaign have likewise made personal attacks on him. "I'm not going around filing any lawsuits on this issue. I believe the best way to address it, for me, and I'm talking about me, personally, is to grow a thicker skin," Caldwell said.

Cayetano said he believes in a fair fight. "If PRP had done something like that to Kirk, what they're doing to me, I would know it would be false because I know Kirk is not that kind of person. And I would've said something to disassociate myself from that campaign," Caye­tano said.

The PRP-sponsored ads accuse Caye­tano of knowingly accepting illegal campaign contributions and committing other transgressions. Caye­tano sued PRP for libel Monday.

The former governor said he was "disappointed" at Caldwell's initial response to his lawsuit. In an email to the Star-Advertiser on Monday, Caldwell said he was legally barred from talking to PRP or any third party organization working for or against him in the election.

"Well, that's true, but he can make a public statement," Caye­tano said.

As for Caldwell's "thicker skin" comment, Caye­tano said the ads that have run against Caldwell do not falsely accuse the former legislator of criminal behavior, as the PRP ads claim with Caye­tano.

"Being critical is one thing; accusing people of a crime is another," Caye­tano said.

PRP, far from stopping its $1.2 million campaign against Caye­tano, in recent days has begun running a new series of ads pointing out that as governor he pardoned 203 people, more than any other Hawaii governor.

The ads say those pardoned included people convicted of murder, rape and domestic abuse and that some went on to commit other crimes after their release.

Cayetano, in response, said 95 percent of his pardons were based on the recommendations of the Hawaii Paroling Authority or othe public safety officials. He also said, "Unlike any other administration, my administration had to struggle really hard with prison space, and one reason why we let people go on parole, or I pardoned people, was to in fact lighten the population of the prison because the Legislature would not let me build a prison."

The state also had to send prisoners to the mainland, he said.

"So I'm not ashamed of that, I'm proud of the pardons that I made, because I think, first of all, they were necessary, and second, I believe in giving people a second chance," Caye­tano said.

During Tuesday's debate, students from St. Andrew's Priory posed questions to the candidates. Some dealt with nontraditional debate topics such as empowering youths and children, and creating job opportunities for them.

But as in previous debates and forums, the discussion eventually centered on the city's $5.26 billion rail project, which Caldwell supports and Caye­tano has vowed to kill.

Cayetano said cuts in bus service made this past summer by the outgoing administration of Mayor Peter Carlisle were done in anticipation of the rail project.

Caldwell, echoing statements made by the administration, said that charge was false and that the cuts were made to help balance the current city operating budget.

Caldwell criticized Caye­tano repeatedly for being a one-issue candidate. Caye­tano said the debt the city's taxpayers would be saddled with from the project would have a negative impact on the city's ability to conduct any other business.

The forum was their last scheduled joint appearance before the Nov. 6 election.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 263 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(263)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
Wazdat wrote:
Kirk is SLIME.........
on October 24,2012 | 01:42AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
IN BEN WE TRUST!
on October 24,2012 | 01:42AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
I VOTED FOR BEN!
on October 24,2012 | 01:43AM
what wrote:
Caldwell is the beneficiary of millions of dollars of pay to play PRP ads. The special interests are paying MILLIONS to support Caldwell so that Caldwell will continue rewarding them with millions to billions in Oahu taxpayer contracts and Oahu taxpayer money. Vote Ben to end the taxpayer scam.
on October 24,2012 | 01:51AM
what wrote:
Kirk also failed to tell the truth about rail costs when he lied and said "rail is paid for." Either he's willfully lying to the people or too ignorant of fiscal realities to say how the city is going to pay the hundred million dollar per year operating budget of rail. This budget is not paid for by the GET tax, fares, federal money, or allocated in the budget. The current city budget can't even pay for TheBus, much less rail. Kirk doesn't want to tell you the truth -- property taxes will have to be doubled to to pay for rail. That means rents will go up too. Vote Ben for fiscal responsibility!
on October 24,2012 | 02:02AM
OldDiver wrote:
Cayetano himself has been running slime ads against Caldwell. Cayetano's former campaign chairman who formed a new super PAC is running slime ads against Caldwell. PRP is running slime ads against Cayetano. Time for publicly financed political campaigns.
on October 24,2012 | 05:00AM
luvshawaii wrote:
You are so deceived OD. Wake up!
on October 24,2012 | 07:43AM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
I agree with OldDiver. TIME FOR PUBLICLY FINANCED POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS! Get rid of TV and print ads and get stop the sophomoric sign waving. I am ALL FOR more publicly funded live and televised debates. Too many voters are not like the bloggers here. They won't take the time to investigate candidate's platforms and instead rely on TV ads that feed them junk food. Having only publicly financed campaigns will encourage more voter participation and active listening. I'm tired of hearing "vote for me cuz I look like you" or "I stay one Democrat so dat's why you should vote for me!"

It's time we, the public, take back our government!


on October 24,2012 | 08:52AM
hybrid1 wrote:
The issues raised in the anit-Kirk ads are all true. Which issues are not true, Old Dribble?
on October 24,2012 | 08:55AM
aomohoa wrote:
Cayetano's camp is not accusing Caldwell of crimes!
on October 24,2012 | 09:09AM
wiliki wrote:
Publicly financed elections. What more can we say....
on October 24,2012 | 09:16AM
saveparadise wrote:
The people of Oahu must not allow a bought and paid for Mayor such as Caldwell to run the city. Negative dirty campaign ads belie true intentions. PRP and Caldwell are all about taking tax payer money. They will lie and say whatever to get what they want and nobody else matters.
on October 24,2012 | 09:57AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Kirk lies. Ben will bring some integrity back to Honolulu Hale... it's long overdue.
on October 24,2012 | 05:59AM
goinglobal wrote:
Are you saying he didnt take illegal campaign contributions? Are you saying he did not give no bid contracts? Wow what was that 500K escheat then???
on October 24,2012 | 02:55PM
hybrid1 wrote:
Kirk is deliberately lying about the Rail cost estimate because there is NO final design for the downtown section....So how can Kirk say that "{Rail is paid for"? !!! Ben has repeatedly asked Kirk for a budget based on final rail design and Kirk has avoided the question...repeatedly.
on October 24,2012 | 08:54AM
Grimbold wrote:
goinglobal , what you believe the smear? Not a word ist true and Vayetano was completely exonerated of those untrue accusations.
on October 24,2012 | 03:07PM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Kirk is dishonest. He cannot be trusted.
on October 24,2012 | 05:58AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
A busy little slanderer this morning.
on October 24,2012 | 06:40AM
luvshawaii wrote:
It's okay for your friends to slander, KR?
on October 24,2012 | 07:43AM
hybrid1 wrote:
So my response to Caldwell's criticism of Ben and his plans: 1) Why should he make such an issue of BRT estimated costs made in a short time when rail is nowhere solid in its estimates and will surely eat up the contingency funds and more;......................... 2) Caldwell is the master of pay to play and will owe everyone big time. It's so obvious that he is using PRP to his advantage (or disadvantage) because spending millions to try to control the outcome of an election is wrong. Don't see him trying to stop it.;..................... 3) traffic will be disrupted for years with rail, especially in areas that only have a few lanes to work with;.................. 4)rail can't leave a smaller footprint...anyone who has seen rail in the mainland would know. Don't know how he could refer to Metrorail because in DC, a lot is underground. The parts above ground are built on land where there is a lot of land. Also cost is high to ride it and traffic is still one of the worst traffic in the US.;................................. 5) Caldwell continues to say that traffic will be reduced significant;y and keeps talking 30%, while Ben is more realistic in the 1.7% area. Very deceptive in trying to push rail through............................. 6) Huh? Caldwell was talking about fiscal responsibility ...how is pushing rail fiscal responsibility while ignoring other city services and wasting taxpayer's money?.............. Ben brought up potholes and the sewers that need to be worked on, but Caldwell already has proved he failed in that. Our roads and sewers are third-world already, and the taxpayers will be paying so much more in the future to correct the lack of fiscal responsibility he is claiming. ...........................6) How can Caldwell get the City's house in order when he can't get his own daughter to do what's right?
on October 24,2012 | 09:15AM
wiliki wrote:
We don't slander. We speak the truth.
on October 24,2012 | 09:17AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I don't believe they have.
on October 24,2012 | 02:13PM
Pocho wrote:
I will vote for UnKo Ben!
on October 24,2012 | 05:57AM
aomohoa wrote:
Wiliki doesn't know the truth. He only knows what he is paid to say:)
on October 24,2012 | 01:06PM
lynnh wrote:
yes, true. His slip up tells all. How many people caught it? wiliki said "WE DON'T SLANDER. WE SPEAK THE TRUTH." Who is we wiliki? According to you you are a singular entity when it comes to these comments. So why did you slip up and say "we?" We have had enough of your @#$% already. Go back to PRP and get overpaid for doing nothing, which is what you are...nothing!
on October 24,2012 | 07:07PM
allie wrote:
we all did
on October 24,2012 | 08:31AM
turbolink wrote:
So, you are now a resident of Hawaii?
on October 24,2012 | 01:05PM
allie wrote:
we all did
on October 24,2012 | 10:07AM
aomohoa wrote:
You didn't answer turbolink Allie ,and please don't speak for everyone. You need to learn to speak in terms of "I."
on October 24,2012 | 02:54PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
MalamaKaAina - In this general election most districts that voted for Ben plus the GOPs (the hard core anti-rail) will go for the man. A scary notion for the pro-rail supporters.
on October 24,2012 | 11:13AM
PCWarrior wrote:
Caldwell said he's running on sewers, road paving and taking away our garbage. What a tool. As managing director, Caldwell was part of the fight against the EPA mandate to upgrade our systems - a fight Mufi ultimately had to cave to. Road paving has been a complete joke ever since Caldwell has been in office. And garbage? Under Caldwell, the city could not bale garbage onto a pallet and ship it to the mainland. The city ultimately cancelled the contract and gave the project up. Caldwell ain't as bad as Clueless Carlise, but he is a complete tool.
on October 24,2012 | 09:14AM
Grimbold wrote:
Roadpaving was almost criminally neglected under Pothole-Harris and then Hannemann/Caldwell. It is so bad now that you are so used to the car jump and rumble that you think something is wrong when you drive on one of the few good roads and the ride is smooth..
on October 24,2012 | 03:13PM
droid wrote:
Kirk wants to ignore the PRP ads but still reap the rewards of them running. What a hypocrite!
on October 24,2012 | 10:06AM
allie wrote:
If Ben wins, it means we finally stood up and resisted the wiles of the power boys who manipulate this town for their own self-interest. That is why their boy Mufi rushed their bad rail through. Only Ben stood up to call a spade a spade. He may have saved Honolulu from bankruptcy. Now the power boys have thrown old man Mufi under the bus and embraced Caldwell as their stooge. That will change is caldwell once again loses the election to Ben.
on October 24,2012 | 10:07AM
goinglobal wrote:
so exactly what do we call Ben when we know for a fact he took illegal campaign contributions and never paid them back escheat of 500K. We know for a fact that several of those same companies that donated illegally to Bens campaign were given no bid contracts... What do you call that???
on October 24,2012 | 02:58PM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
You better watch out because they will add you to the lawsuit.
on October 24,2012 | 04:05PM
luvshawaii wrote:
Keep repeating the lie. That's what they told you to do. Only those who can't think for themselves will listen. No shame.
on October 24,2012 | 04:40PM
nathistory wrote:
Civil Beat has a more thoughtful article about negative advertising.
on October 24,2012 | 01:43AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Civil Beat feels compelled to go to bat for Ben repeatedly. It's like an extension of the Cayetano campaign. They fail to mention the inaccuracies and false claims in the ads run by PACs supporting Cayetano. Fortunately, only a handful of people read CB, which has gone downhill considerably since John Temple left. It's become more like an online version of Honolulu Weekly. Anyway, it won't matter in the long run. Caldwell will win and all will be well.
on October 24,2012 | 06:12AM
1coconut wrote:
I read Civil Bet everyday and they have the most fair reporting on the issues of any news organization in Honolulu. S/A has openly supported Kirt and continues to publish the false accusations by PRP. Blues you will be unemployed when Ben is elected.
on October 24,2012 | 06:32AM
wiliki wrote:
Right Civil Bet tries to bet that people will believe that they are impartial....
on October 24,2012 | 09:19AM
pakeheat wrote:
We don't slander. We speak the truth.- wiliki. You are even a bigger slanderer, and lier than anti-railers.
on October 24,2012 | 10:48AM
lynnh wrote:
Wow, a neutral news outlet that tells both sides of the story gets attacked by a left nut just because they won't 'just" tell your delusion of the truth and leave out the rest of the story like 90% of the left bias media in the country.
on October 24,2012 | 07:18PM
false wrote:
Black and BluesBreaker, starting to brake into a little sweat eh?
on October 24,2012 | 09:57AM
kumasachi wrote:
The only thing Caldwell will win is a job in the Private Sector and not in the City Government.
on October 24,2012 | 02:51PM
lynnh wrote:
Not one ad supporting Ben says anything that is false about Caldwell. Everything is documented and fact They are "all" public record. Look it up and open you eyes.
on October 24,2012 | 07:15PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
All adds that is false about Kirk is embedded in the PRP's deceptive ad!
on October 24,2012 | 10:27PM
localguy wrote:
Sorry Kirky boy, I've already voted for Ben. I hope you have your new career lined up as you will soon be unemployed. Yes, you failed taxpayers in so many areas, earned a vote of no confidence for wasting millions on rail contracts. What were you thinking?
on October 24,2012 | 01:49AM
commoner wrote:
Governor....you were doing fine RETIRED. I believe....Bullying and Suing to get one's way is what some people do. STAY RETIRED.....best for all.
on October 24,2012 | 02:46AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
commoner is just another paid PRP troll!
on October 24,2012 | 02:54AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
MalamaKaAina is just another Cayetano campaign worker. Ho hum.
on October 24,2012 | 06:13AM
false wrote:
And you will soon be something of history. Ho hum.
on October 24,2012 | 09:58AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
And you are just another anti-rail troll.
on October 24,2012 | 06:41AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Not you BB...the 'one more wooden stake..." parrot.
on October 24,2012 | 07:18AM
wiliki wrote:
Malama likes to massage the facts to see if he can come out with more lies.
on October 24,2012 | 09:20AM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
wiliki funny girl!
on October 24,2012 | 01:04PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
It was massaged that the facts were correct, not with the same bitter flavor like the ones PRP massages the facts (or pack of lies).
on October 24,2012 | 01:48PM
rsgea wrote:
Hello, Mr. (T)rollman. How did you know BB was offended by your 6:41am comment?

He must've called you to complain. After all, he IS one of your disciples.


on October 24,2012 | 09:48AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Just didn't want any misunderstandings.
on October 24,2012 | 02:16PM
allie wrote:
commoner=uku
on October 24,2012 | 08:32AM
luvshawaii wrote:
PRP propaganda.
on October 24,2012 | 07:44AM
aomohoa wrote:
Canetano only came out of retirement because of the corrupt candidates that were going to run our state into bankruptcy! He will win!
on October 24,2012 | 09:12AM
LMO wrote:
"I'm running on sewers and water and road repaving and taking away of our garbage," he said. Ummmm, Kirk, what about rail? You forgot rail!
on October 24,2012 | 02:48AM
false wrote:
I heard he has change his position and is not saying that it IS a waste of taxpayers money and a waste of everyone's time.
on October 24,2012 | 10:00AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Ow Ow Ow...twist my arm John White.....Ow Ow ow..... What a bunch of malarky Kirk the Jerk... What a liar you are. You're so full of BS that you belong in PRP's pocket....you and Dan Inouye..
on October 24,2012 | 03:35AM
LittleEarl_01 wrote:
To much mud, not enough facts, from either candidate. Caldwell's said his interest lie in sewers and water and road repaving and taking away of our garbage. That's great! Now how do you propose to do it with an already strained city budget, borrow more and more money? I'm still waiting on Uncle Dan in DC to explain his statement that the EPA mandated sewer upgrade, costing the city $1 Billion dollars, would bankrupt the city, however, he supports a $5.6 Billion rail project. Tell us Uncle Dan, what's up with that?
on October 24,2012 | 03:40AM
NITRO08 wrote:
The city is not going to spend 1 billion dollars in one year it's spead out over years not one year!
on October 24,2012 | 05:37AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Hey NITRO, you forget the CAPS LOCK. ;-)
on October 24,2012 | 07:59AM
wiliki wrote:
Just like the revenue. We've been collecting state tax GET revenues for rail for over 2 years now. Nobody notices.... is rail really too much to pay?
on October 24,2012 | 09:22AM
aomohoa wrote:
The corruption behind it is too much to pay!
on October 24,2012 | 02:59PM
false wrote:
Went online and found tutorial. Good boy.
on October 24,2012 | 10:02AM
PCWarrior wrote:
It's not the city spending it. It's the taxpayers. Our sewer bills have climbed thru the roof and will continue to climb no matter the outcome of this election.
on October 24,2012 | 09:17AM
false wrote:
So where the heck the other $4 billion coming from. Can and bottle returns?
on October 24,2012 | 10:01AM
Grimbold wrote:
Uncle Dan is senile. His best time is behind him.
on October 24,2012 | 09:12AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Caldwell said that he's running on sewers and garbage...............welllll....okay.....I can agree with him on something.
on October 24,2012 | 04:03AM
akuman808 wrote:
Without question, Caldwell is confirming that the garbage that PRP is running has driven Caldwell into the sewer of slime and stinch that he will not disavow because he needs this type of politics to try and defeat Ben.
on October 24,2012 | 04:30AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
He will not ask PRP and White to stop the ads, because he likes being in the sewer of slime and stench.
on October 24,2012 | 06:01AM
wiliki wrote:
Nope... Caldwell cannot coordinate his campaign by law with PRP. He can't even talk to those guys.
on October 24,2012 | 09:24AM
false wrote:
Hand signs? One wink yes, two winks no?
on October 24,2012 | 10:03AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Morse code will do.
on October 24,2012 | 01:45PM
aomohoa wrote:
So are so full of c*#p wiliki!
on October 24,2012 | 03:00PM
rsgea wrote:
Wow! Did PRP's slime tactics backfire on them?

I just saw the results of today's Big Q poll and 63% of the voters agree with Ben Cayetano's defamation lawsuiit. I wonder if the public is turned off by PRP's stubborn insistence on running those false commercials even though several independent sources have verified that what they were sayiing was not true?

BACKFIRE!
on October 24,2012 | 04:19PM
hybrid1 wrote:
Kirk won't tell you he will raise property taxes for transit, sewers, water and road repairs because funds from these systems will be transferred to the $7 Billion rail, which is wasting $10 million per month for contract delays prematurely awarded..
on October 24,2012 | 09:04AM
aomohoa wrote:
But with the rail, there will be no money to fix anything. Ben is really the one that wants to fix all the infrastructure. Caldwell stole that idea to keep people from thinking he is only about rail.
on October 24,2012 | 09:15AM
false wrote:
Good one.
on October 24,2012 | 10:02AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Caldwell comment that the bus cuts have nothing to do with rail is just another example of how it will be business as usual if he's elected. If bus riders want their bus back, the only choice is to elect Ben Cayetano.
on October 24,2012 | 04:15AM
loquaciousone wrote:
It seems that the PRO RAIL SA is determined to block any comment I make. It's ironic that a business dependent on the 1st amendment -- free speech -- is acting like the speech Nazis.
on October 24,2012 | 04:17AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
"I'm running on sewers and water and road repaving and taking away of our garbage," Caldwell said.

Wow! I haven't heard such devoted dedication to our infrastructure like that since Mufi Hannemann was running for his first term as Mayor...
on October 24,2012 | 04:29AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Caldwell is using Mufi's gimmick "Do we need it? Can we afford it? Both liars will ignore these statements after the election.
on October 24,2012 | 09:06AM
Malani wrote:
The sewers, the roads, taxes and everything else has been a long standing issue so why is it all of a sudden the main issue now? Rightly so this Rail should continue to be the main issue because it is the cause of misleading the public with dressed up words which caused them to vote Yes the first time. Rail will be on the ballot again with their new dressed up misleading words trying to get the public to once again to vote yes to keep the Rail going. Many got burned the first time and they won't allow themselves to get burned the second time. They will vote No this time around. As for the negative ads only in this Rotary forum did we hear Caldwell say that he is against it. Not bad for a guy who never once spoke out against it when the ad attack first came out against Cayetano.
on October 24,2012 | 04:34AM
iansuen wrote:
I wish the quality of comments were better on this website. Whether you like rail/BRT or not, everybody deserves a more thoughtful discussion about it.
on October 24,2012 | 04:51AM
aomohoa wrote:
People are frustrated and angry because of the pro rail liars.
on October 24,2012 | 09:17AM
hybrid1 wrote:
You could help by starting one.
on October 24,2012 | 09:17AM
iansuen wrote:
Oh don't worry, I do. Take a look Mr.Ariyoshi's article from last week.
on October 24,2012 | 10:00AM
luvshawaii wrote:
Mr. Ariyoshi has been working for a foreign country for many years now.
on October 24,2012 | 04:45PM
walaau808 wrote:
very true
on October 24,2012 | 09:23AM
Kalli wrote:
So how will Kirk pay for the $100 Million annual operating costs of rail? Carliar now endorses Caldwell, losers supporting losers.
on October 24,2012 | 05:22AM
false wrote:
One issue (rail) illustrates Ben is intelligent and is thinking of the future of Oahu residents. The other issues which are also important will be taken care of. We can all be confident about that. Stopping rail will free up money to easily take care of roads, sewers, etc. GO BEN!
on October 24,2012 | 05:28AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
When Ben first announced his candidacy, as I recall, he not only talked about rail,m but the other issues as well. He said that if rail wasn't eating up all the $, then he could focus on sewers, roads. garbage, public sanitation, etc., and he could provide more jobs to address those needs. Why is Caldwell talking like rail is the only issue at hand? He ad his chance to address the sewers especially during the Mufi administration which he was a key player. However, they are letting us pay for the sewers through our crazy water bills. The roads also are third world condition. Driving home yesterday, I was swerving to avoid a multitude of potholes and large bumpy patches in the roads. The roads have been neglected for years!!!
on October 24,2012 | 05:44AM
NITRO08 wrote:
Stop lying that's all I got to say SAME OLD BULL!
on October 24,2012 | 05:56AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
Excuse me, are you saying I'm making this up?
on October 24,2012 | 06:10AM
NITRO08 wrote:
yes
on October 24,2012 | 07:08AM
Pocho wrote:
Well, Unko Ben did state otherwise as the opening poster stated. All that work that comes under the C&C juridiction is part of the job. Has Caldwell under Mufi, Carlisle and their predecessors have not done their job in the past? Status quo, right! TheRail is the main issue here, why spend that money on it. Get pleenny things to fix up, just look around you, the water pipes, the pot holes, etc. needs to be repaired/updated.
on October 24,2012 | 07:21AM
AmbienDaze wrote:
tell that to nitro08, he don't get it.
on October 24,2012 | 07:58AM
wiliki wrote:
The City has a good record in addressing the other issues. No thanks to Ben for recognizing that.
on October 24,2012 | 09:26AM
Imagen wrote:
Hey Nitro08; don't go away mad, just go away. Very far away.....
on October 24,2012 | 10:46AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
I never made this up.
on October 24,2012 | 04:08PM
aomohoa wrote:
Dedicatedteacher7, Nitro08 is an angry id#*t. He'll blow a fuse soon. Ignore him.
on October 24,2012 | 09:20AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
Oh, yes, not problem. Nitro is mad because he knows what I said is TRUE.
on October 24,2012 | 04:09PM
allie wrote:
Caldwell is the front man for big developers and bankers. He is a puppet. Look behind the curtain to see who is manipulating him.
on October 24,2012 | 08:34AM
Imagen wrote:
He's a marionette; you can see the strings being pulled to activate his body parts, especially his eyes. How spooky is that?
on October 24,2012 | 10:48AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Caldwell continues to say that traffic will be reduced significant;y and keeps talking 30%, while Ben is more realistic in the 1.7% area. Very deceptive in trying to push rail through..................Caldwell was talking about fiscal responsibility ...how is pushing rail fiscal responsibility while ignoring other city services and wasting taxpayer's money? Ben brought up potholes and the sewers that need to be worked on, but Caldwell already has proved he failed in that. Our roads and sewers are third-world already, and the taxpayers will be paying so much more in the future to correct the lack of fiscal responsibility he is claiming. ................How can Caldwell get the City's house in order when he can't get his own daughter to do what's right?
on October 24,2012 | 09:19AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
Hey, that was my last line a few weeks ago, ha, ha!
on October 24,2012 | 04:10PM
allie wrote:
agree..Ben has a higher IQ than snake-eyes but more importantly he is an ethical man
on October 24,2012 | 08:33AM
aomohoa wrote:
That is the most reasonable thing you have said in a long time Allie! Except the snake-eyes comment is rude.
on October 24,2012 | 09:21AM
allie wrote:
but true...
on October 24,2012 | 10:08AM
walaau808 wrote:
Hahahaha, "he is an ethical man" - that cracks me up!
on October 24,2012 | 09:25AM
bigbud808 wrote:
in my opinion it is pre-meditated theft, how they are recklessly spending the money.Just to preserve their greed in finishing the rail folly. As for the council trying to pass a motion to control said money so that the city can't use it for anything else is shoddy. Those 7 people on the council who are pro rail need to be prepared for an investigation. and l hope if found guilty they lose their pensions and do some time. That should be for signing all these contracts, that they knew might not succeed but figured that because high penalties were attached, the public would cave. l voted and it's not for rail.As for the penalties Have the city council that signed it pay for it, not the public. if their pensions for life can't cover then have them claim bankruptcy so the companies will know better next time, not to get in bed with, in my opinion crooks
on October 24,2012 | 05:54AM
hybrid1 wrote:
Ben has stated: "We know this about the City: (1) According to FTA emails, the City was warned against awarding rail contracts prematurely and setting unrealistic construction schedules;.................................... (2) contracts were awarded in 2009 but construction was delayed and did not begin until late 2011;...................................... (3) the City has built a number of the rail pillars on land which it does not yet own, for which there is no written agreement to purchase and for which the reclassification from (prime) agriculture to urban is being appealed in court; ..............and many more mis-steps which the taxpayers cannot afford.
on October 24,2012 | 10:49AM
shoogz wrote:
More deception from the pro-rail council...... http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesMain/tabid/56/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/8020/Charter-Amendment-Honolulu-Council-Grabs-for-Control-of-Rail-Funds.aspx
on October 24,2012 | 11:27AM
KeithHaugen wrote:
Kirk says "enough already" and that he doesn't like the negative ads, but he does not do the honorable thing. He pretends that the ads are not placed to help HIM... he can't be that dumb,or naive. Who else is running against Ben Cayetano? Who else is in on the biggest "pay for play" scam in the history of our State? The hui running the ads and benefitting from them is made up of Caldwell, John White, PRP,the Super PAC that is backing Pay for Play Caldwell for very good reason. Kirk should be ashamed of himself, withdraw from the race, and in the interest of what is best for all of us, he should vote for Cayetano, champion of the people.
on October 24,2012 | 05:58AM
dedicatedteacher7 wrote:
Caldwell is ENJOYING all the negative ads being paid by PRP (libelous and slanderous), so it shows the pay to play mentality that will follow if he should ever be voted in. He will be forever in debt to them.
on October 24,2012 | 06:13AM
Grimbold wrote:
Caldwell was caught by the throat and dug his own political grave: Because he did not denounce the defamatory foul ads against Cayetano,
on October 24,2012 | 07:27AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Why doesn't Ben denounce his own defamatory foul ads?
on October 24,2012 | 02:34PM
luvshawaii wrote:
He hasn't put any out there?
on October 24,2012 | 04:47PM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
You obviously haven't heard his latest radio commercials.
on October 24,2012 | 08:27PM
allie wrote:
Ben wants to defend and protect our remaining Ag lands. Wise man. Old man Caldwell is a puppet of the greedy developers who are trying to buy this election
on October 24,2012 | 08:35AM
aomohoa wrote:
Another good one Allie:)
on October 24,2012 | 09:22AM
allie wrote:
:)
on October 24,2012 | 10:09AM
walaau808 wrote:
When was the last time any of you saw a political candidate denounce negative ads against their opponent? Speaking of doing the honorable thing, why do Ben's friends feel the need to throw negative ads out too? If Ben were honorable, he'd run strictly on the record of his past despite anything someone else said or brought up in the media. If Ben was that great and did so many wonderful things as governor, that record should stand for itself and he should win by a landslide. Nope, Ben's buddy's feel the need to throw stones too so they create their own super PAC and do the same negative campaigning too. That's not very honorable...
on October 24,2012 | 09:29AM
PCWarrior wrote:
You gotta fight fire with fire walaau. You can't bring a knife to a gun fight.
on October 24,2012 | 12:52PM
walaau808 wrote:
Isn't that hypocritical? Don't claim to be "innocent" then do the same thing back. That's why I'm not voting for Ben. He could've just taken the high road...but no, got to "play the game" too.
on October 24,2012 | 08:11PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
You loose one vote (yours), but gain many; not a big deal; your vote is irrelevant for Ben. Most district voted for Ben in the primary and will do so again in the General election plus the GOPs (the hard core anti-rail) group, so your not missed.
on October 24,2012 | 10:32PM
Wazdat wrote:
Kirk IS that dumb.
on October 24,2012 | 10:38AM
MichaelG wrote:
The failure of Caldwell to condemn those negative ads shows his character or lack thereof!!!! I hope Ben wins big to show future campaigns that NEGATIVE ads has not place in our political system.
on October 24,2012 | 06:22AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
Why don't you condemn Cayetano's use of negative ads?
on October 24,2012 | 06:43AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Kirk admits that he's running on sewers and garbage. What negative ads?
on October 24,2012 | 06:57AM
wiliki wrote:
We need publicly financed elections. Too much dirty money in Ben's illegal PACs.
on October 24,2012 | 09:29AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
A hypocritical view.
on October 24,2012 | 10:37AM
luvshawaii wrote:
You have no shame. Is that how your mother raised you? To love money so much you would stoop to such low tactics.
on October 24,2012 | 04:48PM
walaau808 wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, any ad that speaks negatively of someone else is a negative ad. Where should I start?
on October 24,2012 | 09:31AM
moku42 wrote:
Caytano is not falsely accusing Caldwell of being a criminal.
on October 24,2012 | 07:11AM
walaau808 wrote:
But is ads feature Caldwell in a negative light...so what's the difference?
on October 24,2012 | 09:31AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
You do not understand; I must say you don't know how to read between the lines.
on October 24,2012 | 10:34PM
Publicbraddah wrote:
Well maybe Kirk should sue Ben for the "negative ads". But I don't see any.
on October 24,2012 | 08:02AM
aomohoa wrote:
Maybe you don't read enough or watch the ads, obviously.
on October 24,2012 | 09:24AM
walaau808 wrote:
Your perception of a negative ad is totally skewed. Kirk won't sue because he's not a bloody cry baby!
on October 24,2012 | 09:32AM
false wrote:
No because he can't see right and wrong.
on October 24,2012 | 10:11AM
Imagen wrote:
@walaau808: Caldwell may not be a "bloddy cry baby" as you put it, but he also did not negate any of it; in fact, quite the opposite. He relished it! The problem I have with Caldwell is that while he may SAY that he denounces the negative ads, he certainly did NOTHING to stop it. Saying to the public that he LEGALLY cannot speak to the PACs is ludicrous. Pick up the darn phone and call PRP and say to him (White); "KNOCK IT OFF! You're really not helping me win this." Say what you mean and mean what you say; I see nothing credible from Caldwell and as such he does NOT have my vote.
on October 24,2012 | 10:57AM
walaau808 wrote:
You really believe it's that easy? You think PRP will stop now because Caldwell says so? PRP has an agenda, that much is painfully obvious. While PRP's commercials are a bit over the top, so are every other political candidates commercials including Ben's! Everyone embellishes on the truth! I've never seen any political candidate tell those running commercials in their favor to "knock it off". It's the way things are (legally by the way).
on October 24,2012 | 08:15PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Kirk just sucks on his lollipop given by the PRP.
on October 24,2012 | 10:34PM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
Politics is rough and tumble. Yeah, everybody knows that. But there is a line and I think PRP found it.
on October 24,2012 | 08:22AM
aomohoa wrote:
Because his ads don't lie or accuse someone of a crime!
on October 24,2012 | 09:23AM
allie wrote:
true
on October 24,2012 | 10:10AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
The hell they don't
on October 24,2012 | 08:28PM
false wrote:
Maybe it hold truths not accusations.
on October 24,2012 | 10:11AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
MichaelG made the right choice.
on October 24,2012 | 10:35AM
Imagen wrote:
Hey KR, remember Heftel? I thought so...
on October 24,2012 | 10:51AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
That was an actual smear, as opposed to the PRP stuff Ben is whining about.
on October 24,2012 | 02:23PM
luvshawaii wrote:
So scared to lose out on all that false power and prestige. And money.
on October 24,2012 | 04:49PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Ben has something to whine about via law suit.
on October 24,2012 | 10:36PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
We don't not follow Judas' command regarding condemning Ben's ones opinion's negative ads.
on October 24,2012 | 11:36AM
Keith_Rollman wrote:
I have no idea what that means.
on October 24,2012 | 08:29PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
That means from your "Why don't you condemn Cayetano's use of negative ads?"
on October 24,2012 | 10:38PM
yhls wrote:
To say PRP is desperate would be a gross understatement. Nothing they do will change the outcome. Those few people who "actually vote," will elect Cayetano as Honolulu's next mayor.
on October 24,2012 | 06:50AM
NITRO08 wrote:
DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH!
on October 24,2012 | 06:55AM
wiliki wrote:
The majority of people in Honolulu will lose if rail is not adopted... traffic in leeward and central Oahu is unbearable.
on October 24,2012 | 09:30AM
allie wrote:
rail won't change that hon. Buy on the preferred east side!
on October 24,2012 | 10:10AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Wrong. Most of the taxpayers who resides in other areas where the rail will not traverse will not loose or benefit the rail; most likely, they won't even missed it if is not adopted.
on October 24,2012 | 10:40AM
Imagen wrote:
Have a mediocre day nitro08...
on October 24,2012 | 10:58AM
walaau808 wrote:
Not me! The guy was an awful governor...being the mayor won't change his spots!
on October 24,2012 | 09:33AM
luvshawaii wrote:
If you don't think Caldwell is spotty, you need an optometrist.
on October 24,2012 | 04:50PM
walaau808 wrote:
You are obviously going to need a proctologist if Ben becomes mayor, cause he will screw all of us over...mark my word!
on October 24,2012 | 08:17PM
NITRO08 wrote:
YES !
on October 24,2012 | 06:53AM
LL808 wrote:
Yes to a vote for BEN!!!!
on October 24,2012 | 07:09AM
allie wrote:
we all are
on October 24,2012 | 08:35AM
aomohoa wrote:
I can't speak for everyone, but I sure voted for Ben:)
on October 24,2012 | 09:25AM
allie wrote:
you did the right thing!
on October 24,2012 | 10:10AM
turbolink wrote:
So you are no longer a resident of ND. Can't fall back on that for sympathy now.
on October 24,2012 | 01:08PM
allie wrote:
well...I am not a resident. I am a cheerleader for Ben though!
on October 24,2012 | 01:18PM
turbolink wrote:
Then stop telling people which Hawaiian candidates you voted for. This is why you have no credibility.
on October 24,2012 | 01:31PM
luvshawaii wrote:
Yeah, others are finally coming to the realization that allie has no crediblity!
on October 24,2012 | 04:52PM
aomohoa wrote:
How did you for for Ben, like you said?
on October 24,2012 | 03:04PM
McCully wrote:
What a 180 degree turn for wannabe Caldwell. Only now after the lawsuit he denounces negative ads? He should have told his buddy John White to tone it down months ago. Too late Kirk, you have already exposed yourself as a slime ball.
on October 24,2012 | 07:02AM
loquaciousone wrote:
It's like saying ow ow oww....twist my arm ... ow ow oww.... when is the next ad running?
on October 24,2012 | 07:14AM
Grimbold wrote:
McCully here you are wrong: Caldwell did not do what Cayetano said he should: denounce the ads by the Pacific Resource Partnership political action committee.
on October 24,2012 | 07:30AM
walaau808 wrote:
Who the hell does Ben think he is? Ben said that Caldwell should denounce? Pretty arrogant if you ask me...
on October 24,2012 | 09:34AM
luvshawaii wrote:
You sound under educated.
on October 24,2012 | 04:52PM
Grimbold wrote:
Its arrogant to demand that lies should be denounced? Are you standing upside down?
on October 24,2012 | 07:29PM
al_kiqaeda wrote:
In my opinion, it was too predictable that Caldwell would denounce the "negative campaigning or advertising" just a few days away from the election. Waaaaay too predictable. Hey, tonight I'm thinking of eating a big chili with beans dinner in a crowded room and then saying, "excuse me!" after letting most of the flatulence escape.
on October 24,2012 | 08:31AM
Imagen wrote:
Is that why Kirky Boy's eyes are like that? Because of your released escape? >.<
on October 24,2012 | 11:00AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Calling Ben great is a bit of a stretch but calling Kirk honest is a monumental SHIBAI. Kirk's endorsement of the City's reason for the bus service cuts only demonstrates that if he's elected, the bus cuts will stay in place. During the primaries he kept saying that he would restore the bus service. Looks like he'll say anything to get elected. If budget restraints were the reason for the bus service cuts, is he going to grow a money tree to restore the bus service? Rail props have left bus riders no choice but to vote for Ben.
on October 24,2012 | 07:10AM
PCWarrior wrote:
I already know what Caldwell will say. Anything he thinks we want to hear that will put his big but in the mayor's seat.
on October 24,2012 | 09:21AM
walaau808 wrote:
At least we can almost agree on one thing..."calling Ben great is a bit of a stretch". Using "great" and "Ben" in the same sentence is just bad grammar! He was a horrible governor, and will be an even worse mayor.
on October 24,2012 | 09:36AM
markat wrote:
At the start of the campaign season, i was fairly undecided as to who i was going to vote for. Based on the actions of Quirk Caldwell, i now am fully convinced that he is manipulative, opportunistic, two-faced, sly, underhanded, and cannot be trusted. i would not associate with him as a person and i do not wish to have him represent our city. If he thinks he is fooling anyone with his shallow statements about focusing on the issues and running a clean campaign, then he is as dumb as he is dirty.
on October 24,2012 | 07:35AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Are any of you guys so naive you think the PRP is giving millions in advertising to Caldwell without expecting something in return. The more they give, the more they expect. After giving $2 million or so, they expect to to walk into Honolulu Hale and get whatever they want.

Kirk refuses to dissociate himself from the skuzzy ads. That indicates he is just fine with making PRP his partner if he gets elected. I do not want PRP running the City. Kirk is way too cozy with all the other other unions already.

What does PRP's millions buy? Kirk.


on October 24,2012 | 07:36AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Kirk Caldwell loves the unions and the unions love Kirk Caldwell. The unions from HGEA to the Carpenter's union are banding together to run negative ads against Ben because they don't want to lose the goose that lays the golden egg -- Kirk! If Kirk gets elected it will be business as usual all to the detriment of the taxpayers.
on October 24,2012 | 07:52AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Kirk Caldwell loves the unions and the unions love Kirk Caldwell. The unions from HGEA to the Carpenter's union are banding together to run negative ads against Ben because they don't want to lose the goose that lays the golden egg -- Kirk! If Kirk gets elected it will be business as usual all to the detriment of the taxpayers.
on October 24,2012 | 07:52AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
"I don't like negative campaigning or advertising," Caldwell said. "You don't see that from my campaign, nor do I talk about it in any way." Nice. Two weeks away from the election and Caldwell only now comes out to say it's not right. Too late!
on October 24,2012 | 07:57AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Kirk Caldwell will say anything to get elected. If he's honest then cows don't eat grass, ducks don't quack, and I don't like beer.
on October 24,2012 | 08:01AM
allie wrote:
yup..but unlike Lingle who is a slinky, crafty person old man Caldwell is easy to see through
on October 24,2012 | 08:36AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
A controllable (yes man of the PRP) weak person.
on October 24,2012 | 09:36AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
And Allie really is from North Dakota, a student at UH and a Mandan princess......the cows not eating grass is easier to accept. (But not your beer example - that's just crazy talk.)
on October 24,2012 | 08:57AM
Publicbraddah wrote:
When Cayetano wins, I hope he thanks PRP for helping him get elected.
on October 24,2012 | 08:02AM
Kalaheo1 wrote:
Oh... He will.
on October 24,2012 | 08:18AM
Eagle156 wrote:
One hopes that the lawsuit will reveal the names of the trustees of PRP whose deep pockets have supplied the money to air the slanderous advertising. It goes well beyond John White and hard working carpenters who are becoming the victims of all that sleaze.
on October 24,2012 | 08:11AM
allie wrote:
I saw Ben on a lengthy and excellent interview on Olelo last night. Very well done. he is impressive. The Hawaiian activist even seemed to be in agreement when Ben explained that as governor he had not caved in to OHA pressure to give them more money and race preferences as he was governor of all the people. That is so true. Too bad old man Abs does not understand that.
on October 24,2012 | 08:31AM
haleiwalad1 wrote:
Ben's response is consistent with his effort to draw attention away from the issues and play the victim-role; attacking Kirk for not wanting to get sidetracked. Honolulu folks, don't be persuaded by Ben's sleezy and transparent efforts to draw attention away from important city issues and buy your sympathy.
on October 24,2012 | 08:47AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Story of the day:

Some guy was talking about Cayetano and PRP and said this: "Look, I am not a lawyer and don't know if Cayetano did anything wrong. But the way I see it, at least Ben gave jobs and contracts to local companies and local folks. Since rail started, all the jobs and contracts go to Italians and companies on the continent, even the real estate appraisers come from the mainland. So....both these guys give away jobs, I'm going to vote for the guy who gives them to local people."

So simple, so clear, so right.


on October 24,2012 | 08:55AM
aomohoa wrote:
So clear, so right and so well put:)
on October 24,2012 | 09:29AM
walaau808 wrote:
Yup, "Ben gave jobs and contracts to local companies and local folks" is right! He just did it without respect for the procurement process that is standard when awarding contracts! Please be more informed as to the "all the jobs and contracts go to Italians and companies on the continent" statement. Guess you didn't bother to see for yourself who was working on the first phase of rail huh? They certainly looked local to me! Besides, when was the last time a local company built rail cars and elevated railways? Hard to use local when local doesn't do the scope of work!
on October 24,2012 | 09:42AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Here's what you meant to say: "Rail sends Hawaii money and Hawaii jobs out of state and out of the USA."
on October 24,2012 | 10:01AM
loquaciousone wrote:
You mean like ITALY where they just convicted 7 scientist of manslaughter because they couldn't predict when and where an earthquake was going to occur. Sounds like a fourth world country to me.
on October 24,2012 | 10:17AM
walaau808 wrote:
You obviously can't read and have trouble with comprehension but I expected that. You believe what you want. Truth is local construction workers will be on the job, it's part of the project labor agreement for rail.
on October 24,2012 | 08:25PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
You're rhetoric is like an empty can that makes a lot of noise; what makes you think you are the smartest blogger???
on October 24,2012 | 10:12PM
allie wrote:
Most of the best rail jobs are going to Europeans and mexicans. Union labor here has no experience with rail so they get the lower end of the job list. Ben is right: fixing sewer, roads, bridges and water will create far more jobs for unions that rail. And, given the level of our education out here,m these are jobs are unions can actually do. Vote Ben!
on October 24,2012 | 10:14AM
walaau808 wrote:
That is untrue. You should do your homework before spewing lies. The local ironworkers have assembled many rail lines locally. You don't know this because most of them are underground for the military, board of water supply, etc. As far as getting "the lower end of the job list", wrong again! The project labor agreement for rail dictates that local union craftsman be hired. You think local unions will allow an influx of craftsman, when they have thousands of locals lining up for this work?
on October 24,2012 | 08:30PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Story of the day:

Some guy was talking about Cayetano and PRP and said this: "Look, I am not a lawyer and don't know if Cayetano did anything wrong. But the way I see it, at least Ben gave jobs and contracts to local companies and local folks. Since rail started, all the jobs and contracts go to Italians and companies on the continent, even the real estate appraisers come from the mainland. So....both these guys give away jobs, I'm going to vote for the guy who gives them to local people."

So simple, so clear, so right.


on October 24,2012 | 08:55AM
pakeheat wrote:
How about the latest Caldwell ad on the radio where there is a discussion and this guy doesn't know a lot of things, especially when asked, "Didn't you know Kirk Caldwell was running for Mayor?", hilarious. How about asking the question,"Didn't you know Kirk Caldwell has the most Union endorsements, what you think the Unions want in return, isn't that pay-to-play too? LOL.
on October 24,2012 | 09:00AM
walaau808 wrote:
Doesn't anyone contributing funds to a campaign qualify that campaign as pay to play? Who in the world makes contributions to a candidate without expecting something in return? If you made a contribution it was because you believed that you would eventually benefit (either directly or indirectly) from that candidates election, right? So basically, every candidate is pay to play! All this talk about Caldwell and pay to play applied to Cayetano's stint as governor - and it also applies to Cayetano's run for mayor! NOBODY invests thousands of dollars in someone's campaign without an expectation of return on their investment - NOBODY!
on October 24,2012 | 09:47AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Local jobs for local people. HART sends its jobs and money out of Hawaii.

When PRP calls in its markers. Kirk's rail buddies will be sending even more jobs and money to Italy, Georgia, California, New York, etc.


on October 24,2012 | 10:03AM
Imagen wrote:
@walaau08: Quite the oppposite; not all contributors contribute with the intention of getting a return. Some of US actually contribute simply because we support the candidate and what issues he/she stands on. I contributed with no expectation other than I want my money going to the candidate whom I feel has MY best interest at heart. I had voted for Caldwell many times in the past, and was mortified when he lost to Carlisle. However, Caldwell does NOT have my vote this time. He has disappointed me on numerous occassions. I really USED to like the guy.
on October 24,2012 | 11:16AM
walaau808 wrote:
Again as I mentioned before, people make contributions having an expectation of benefit whether direct or indirect. In this case, you're supporting a candidate monetarily because you don't want rail. Isn't that considered a form of pay to play? Giving something with an expectation of something in return is pay to play! Your statement "I contributed with no expectation other than I want my money going to the candidate whom I feel has MY best interest at heart" confirms what I'm saying. You gave so that YOUR best interest is fulfilled! That is an indirect benefit. Who knows, it could eventually turn in to a direct benefit down the road depending on how much you gave.
on October 24,2012 | 08:43PM
iwanaknow wrote:
Once the elections are pau, there will be a great lull as things settle back into the mud. The losers will lick their wounds and try, try again.
on October 24,2012 | 09:02AM
loquaciousone wrote:
After the elections we'll all gather in the PRP parking lot to auction off their furniture.
on October 24,2012 | 01:09PM
gsc wrote:
I'm proudly voting for Gov BEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He does not need the money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He does not need the fame !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on October 24,2012 | 09:03AM
Eagle156 wrote:
The lawsuit is just the tip of the iceberg that will sink the rail project. The HSA attempt to hide the names of the trustees of PRP is just a delaying tactic. When those names are revealed it will show that John White was just the front man for one of the worst political scandals in the history of Hawai'i.
on October 24,2012 | 09:10AM
walaau808 wrote:
What scandal? Having a super PAC is LEGAL! You anti railers are a piece of work...
on October 24,2012 | 09:49AM
wiliki wrote:
Ben has a thin skin.... Caldwell is not suing his PACs which are really extensions of Ben's campaign to hide the dirty money.
on October 24,2012 | 09:14AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Smart move by the thin skin man within the short period before the general election.
on October 24,2012 | 09:35AM
allie wrote:
unions and the rich developers and bankers fear Ben. He is smart and he is tough
on October 24,2012 | 10:14AM
aomohoa wrote:
Ben should sue you too wiliki!
on October 24,2012 | 03:07PM
luvshawaii wrote:
You may be an engineer, but common sense is not your forte.
on October 24,2012 | 04:54PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
A yes man by the PRP and unions looking for the low hanging taxpayers money fruit ready to be pluck once the yes man gets in.
on October 24,2012 | 09:38AM
walaau808 wrote:
Doesn't anyone contributing funds to a campaign qualify that campaign as pay to play? Who in the world makes contributions to a candidate without expecting something in return? If you made a contribution it was because you believed that you would eventually benefit (either directly or indirectly) from that candidates election, right? So basically, every candidate is pay to play! All this talk about Caldwell and pay to play applied to Cayetano's stint as governor - and it also applies to Cayetano's run for mayor! NOBODY invests thousands of dollars in someone's campaign without an expectation of return on their investment - NOBODY!
on October 24,2012 | 09:48AM
loquaciousone wrote:
NOBODY invests thousands of dollars in someone's campaign without an expectation of return on their investment - NOBODY! Your words .... not mine ... PRP IS NOT INVESTING MILLIONS WITHOUT EXPECTING SOMETHING IN RETURN.
on October 24,2012 | 10:25AM
walaau808 wrote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. You obviously don't see how it applies to ALL candidates, not just Caldwell. Of course it applies to PRP, just as it applies to everyone contributing to Ben's campaign! You're not too bright are you?
on October 24,2012 | 08:46PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
What made you think your that smart?
on October 24,2012 | 10:09PM
false wrote:
One issue candidate? Kirky boy was talking only about rail until Ben raised the issues about roads, sewers, etc. then Kirk started to chime in. Think skin? What he was being accused of a crime that he did not do? Honest? I don't think so. Cares about Hawaii? He IS the one issue candidate with all the special interest backing. Kirk, don't play stupid. You and your campaign know what people like PRP and the rest of them are doing. You said you are a local boy so you must know the work BACHI.
on October 24,2012 | 09:52AM
allie wrote:
yup
on October 24,2012 | 10:14AM
false wrote:
false3. Kirk Caldwell shows his true self by this article. That of a weasel, lying through his teeth. He claims to not like negative campaigning but will not say anything against PRP but shrugs it off by saying "move on". Of course, it helps him. He feels Cayetano should have a "thicker skin" concerning the lawsuit. WELL Mr. Caldwell , you are conveniently overlooking Ben's recent humanitarian gesture toward your family. This concerned your daughter Maya's illegal action during the primary shown burning Cayetano signs, caught on photos and shown on local media - except the Star Advertiser which endorsed you. He could have capitalized on her mistake but instead, forgave her actions as that of an overzealous teenage daughter. What would have happened if he had made a legal complaint? Would you have grown a thick skin and ignored the publicity? No Kirk. You are all talk with a forked tongue. A true parasite.
on October 24,2012 | 10:19AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
I thought Caldwell was a Skunk, not a Weasel, but I'll go with your description.
on October 24,2012 | 11:05AM
gsc wrote:
Caldwell is not a Skunk or a Weasel.... Caldwell = Peter = PRP = Gufi Mufi ...............................
on October 24,2012 | 11:19AM
AKULEMAN wrote:
I see, an excellent algebraic equation with theorem to be all equal logically.
on October 24,2012 | 11:30AM
PCWarrior wrote:
You forgot she used a bong to burn those signs. A bong is a device used for smoking marijuana. Yes I thought it was very classy of Ben to say layoff the guy's kid.
on October 24,2012 | 02:23PM
walaau808 wrote:
If Ben pounced on Caldwell's daughter, he probably would've lost tons of votes. Don't mistake his inaction for kindness - he did it for the votes he would've lost going after a kid!
on October 24,2012 | 08:56PM
Rickyboy wrote:
Caldwell benefits the most so why bite the hand ?.
on October 24,2012 | 12:14PM
Mythman wrote:
Kirk John Stanford Caldwell White Carr
on October 24,2012 | 12:26PM
loquaciousone wrote:
Caldwell said he did not like that the publicity over the negative campaigning was deflecting attention from other issues. "I'm running on sewage and garbage," said Caldwell "they are the lifeblood of my legacy."
on October 24,2012 | 01:45PM
KimoSabey wrote:
When Ben's suit goes forward the full list of donors will be subpoenaed to get all the facts. They will all be public knowledge then and open to scrutiny. We will see the Unions, banks, contractors and old boy network. Now they will not be able to hide behind their "sheets" of money.
on October 24,2012 | 01:48PM
false wrote:
Hey! We just might see the bloggers!
on October 24,2012 | 03:40PM
walaau808 wrote:
You people are so ignorant! Ben's lawsuit will expose donors for PRP but so what? They have every legal right to make donations to the super PAC. Ben should be careful what he wishes for, because a counter suit will expose all the donors hiding behind him too! So you find out which contractors are making campaign contributions...then what smart guy?
on October 24,2012 | 08:51PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Let the public know who are hiding behind the green door with their Halloween masks on.
on October 24,2012 | 10:41PM
loquaciousone wrote:
"Enough already … 'nuff … let's move on," Caldwell told reporters Tuesday after a forum at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel featuring the two candidates and sponsored by the Rotary Club of Hono­lulu. This sounds like an equivalent to Roberto Duran's famous NO MAS quote. Do you give up Kirk? Raise you hand, one if by land and two if by sea.
on October 24,2012 | 01:56PM
delacruz wrote:
I'm so glad cayetano did sue prep cause they been thinking peoplelikewhat they doing its the more hate to watch tv and even newspaper it's been three daysi didn't pick up in the mail box
on October 24,2012 | 02:04PM
ohelo wrote:
While I am not a Ben fan (nor of PRP), I hope that his suit goes all the way up to the Supreme Court - maybe the Juistices will reconsider the fuling that fat cats (PACs) can anonymously spend money.
on October 24,2012 | 02:11PM
walaau808 wrote:
The Supreme Court has already ruled. Why would they change it? Because little old Ben says so?
on October 24,2012 | 08:54PM
AKULEMAN wrote:
Rulings can be amended based on the evidence. Your naive.
on October 24,2012 | 10:43PM
soshaljustic wrote:
lol Kirk says, ""I'm running on sewers and water and road repaving and taking away of our garbage," but he fails to say where he will find the money to pay for those things when he lets the choo choo come into town! hehe hmmmm how does one manage a budget that takes all the money and more from the tax payer, leaves NONE and he says he will have some left to do other stuffs? lmao Wonder what the guy huffin to think he got nuff in budget
on October 24,2012 | 03:58PM
ejkorvette wrote:
Both Candidates are CROOKS! Hawaii residents know this, but those who this statement applies to, pretend to not know. Sad but true. Therefore, all the hardship that the residents of Hawaii incur will be justified because they chose to vote with their HEART and not their HEAD! Bend over and say: THANK YOU MAY I HAVE ANOTHER, and LUCKY YOU LIVE HAWAII!!! YIPPEEEEE. WOOOO HOOOOO, I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. CUTE DA KINE YAH? YAH?
on October 24,2012 | 06:57PM
Grimbold wrote:
You are way off anything!
on October 24,2012 | 07:26PM
lynnh wrote:
Show us your facts... not what PRP says!
on October 24,2012 | 07:11PM
MalamaKaAina wrote:
I VOTED FOR BEN!
on October 24,2012 | 09:16PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates