Quantcast

Tuesday, July 29, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 93 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Hanabusa tops Djou in survey

The incumbent representative, a Democrat, is ahead of her rival by 11 percentage points

By Derrick DePledge

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 12:15 p.m. HST, Oct 30, 2012

U.S. Rep. Colleen Hana­busa, drawing energetic support from women and union households, has the advantage over former Congressman Charles Djou in their rematch in urban Hono­lulu's 1st Congressional District.

A new Hawaii Poll shows Hana­busa ahead of Djou 52 percent to 41 percent, with 7 percent undecided. The results are similar to the last Hawaii Poll, in July, when Hana­busa led Djou 50 percent to 41 percent.

Hanabusa, a Demo­crat, and Djou, a Republican, are competing against each other for the third time since 2010. But the rematch has been overshadowed by the Hawaii U.S. Senate and Hono­lulu mayoral campaigns and has not attracted the same national interest as the two previous elections.

Neal Milner, a retired University of Hawaii-Manoa political science professor, said the poll shows the challenge for Republican candidates like Djou in a traditionally Demo­cratic state. Djou won a special election in May 2010 after Hana­busa and former U.S. Rep. Ed Case split the Demo­cratic vote. He lost to Hana­busa by 6 points in the November 2010 election.

"It's extraordinarily difficult to break through that," Milner said, "and it looks like he hasn't been very successful at doing that."

The Hawaii Poll was taken by Ward Research for the Star-Advertiser and Hawaii News Now from Oct. 15 through 22. The interviews were conducted through telephone land lines and cellphones among 376 likely voters. The margin of error was 5.1 percentage points.

Hanabusa, the first woman to serve as state Senate president, has a sizable 54 percent-to-37 percent gap over Djou among women. She leads 60 percent to 35 percent in union households.

Voters also have a more favorable opinion of Hana­­busa — 61 percent, than Djou — 56 percent. But the poll found that Djou's favorability rating has increased significantly since July, when it was 48 percent.

Djou, who is campaigning as a centrist, has some appeal among Demo­crats and dominates among independents. Voters who say they usually vote Demo­cratic favor Hana­busa over Djou 72 percent to 21 percent. Republicans support Djou over Hana­busa 96 percent to 2 percent.

"I think these numbers reflect the tremendous amount of work our volunteers have put into our campaign, and the fact that voters are responding to our message of standing up for seniors, protecting the middle class, and continuing the progress we have seen in our economy," Hana­busa said in a statement. "Hawaii's core values haven't changed, and we've been speaking to those things that make our community special. That's what people are supporting.

"Having said that, I know that every poll is just a snapshot in time and the real numbers are the ones we get on Nov. 6. We're gong to campaign just as hard in the remaining days, and we're also going to be reminding our supporters that the job isn't done just because we got good poll numbers. They have to get out and vote."

Djou said his internal polling has told a different story from the Hawaii Poll. But he said polling does not matter as much as what his campaign would do to get out the vote in the week before the election.

"I've been up in polls and lost, and I've been down in polls and won," he said. "And the single most important poll is the one on election day, and that's the one that counts."

In the 2nd Congressional District, which covers rural Oahu and the neighbor islands, former Hono­lulu City Councilwoman Tulsi Gabbard leads homeless handyman Kawika Crowley 73 percent to 8 percent.

Gabbard, who crushed former Hono­lulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann in the Demo­cratic primary in August, has a 65 percent favorability rating, higher than any other politician tested in the poll. Gabbard had a 46 percent favorability rating in July, but 15 percent of voters had never heard of her and 21 percent had heard of her but did not know enough to form an opinion.






 Print   Email   Comment | View 93 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(93)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
MalamaKaAina wrote:
Anybody but Hanabusa!
on October 29,2012 | 01:45AM
kailuabred wrote:
Another disappointment for you.
on October 29,2012 | 04:22AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Another robot heard from.
on October 29,2012 | 07:50AM
OldDiver wrote:
A vote for Hanabusa is a vote for middle class and working class families. A vote for Djou is a vote for tax breaks for the rich and billions in oil industry subsidies.
on October 29,2012 | 08:38AM
Anonymous wrote:
You believe in what these idiots tell you?
on October 29,2012 | 01:09PM
ehrhornp wrote:
Certainly don't believe what a republican says. They end up doing the opposite of what they promised. Just look at GW. lol A vote for Hanabusa is a vote for democratic control of the house which would be an improvement over republicans trying to run people's lives. Republicans are just a joke. Vote republican and don't be surprised if we are back in another recession in two years.
on October 29,2012 | 03:06PM
kainalu wrote:
Another stake through the heart of the ... oops. wrong subject.
on October 29,2012 | 03:14PM
hawaiikone wrote:
One of the chief robots speaks...
on October 29,2012 | 01:51PM
Anonymous wrote:
A vote for Hanabusa will leave Hawaii like the Waiane coast, full of welfare and people living off of the government. Vote for Djou is a vote for pride in America and the future of our children. Not all of us can live on Government assistance or want to.
on October 29,2012 | 06:01PM
aomohoa wrote:
Thank you Anonymous:)
on October 29,2012 | 07:47PM
allie wrote:
agree...Hanabooboo is unimpressive. I like Djou. He is a very decent person and smart. Punahou boy
on October 29,2012 | 06:28AM
nonpolitic wrote:
Djou says one thing and does completely another. See how "decent and smart" (as well as "truthful") this Punahou boy really is. http://www.civilbeat.com/fact_checks/2012/10/29/17468-fact-check-hanabusa-djou-formed-political-lobbying-firm/
on October 29,2012 | 10:41AM
allie wrote:
yikes!
on October 29,2012 | 01:27PM
ehrhornp wrote:
One strike against him. lol If he was an Iolani boy....
on October 29,2012 | 03:07PM
localguy wrote:
Reread the report, it states just as Djou said, "Djou is not listed as a registered lobbyist in the same database. " Yes Djou started the business, but anyone can do this. Way too many posting rookies out here. Do you really want more years of Hanna ba booza working more for herself than those who elected her? Understand, she never has and never will be a true leader. Djou, serving in the Army as a Major, does meet the "Gold Standard' of leadership, placing the needs of others before himself, and selfless service. Hmmm, wonder why Hanna Ba Booza never served her country?
on October 29,2012 | 03:20PM
nonpolitic wrote:
IF you saw the debate, he unequivocally said "I am not a lobbyist." That is also a true statement . . . however, federal prohibited him from being one for a year after office anyway. After that, he got deployed, then he ran again for office. So, the more accurate statement would be . . . he isn't a lobbyist . . . YET. Djou wants it both ways. He wants to say he's a DC outsider, but also wants to make money as a DC insider. As for Djou military service. He went on record voicing his support for the repeal of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy not based on the idea that gays have a right to serve in the military; but because as a JAG officer, he was afraid that too many military personnel would "claim" that they're gay right after they receive a re-enlistment bonus so that they could leave the military with the bonus but not have to serve. Some "Gold Standard of leadership". The guy is a "I'll say anything that will get me elected" politician.
on October 29,2012 | 03:56PM
Wazdat wrote:
My vote is for Djou. He will serve us well.
on October 29,2012 | 03:57AM
kailuabred wrote:
Actually, he won't be serving at all after 11/6.
on October 29,2012 | 05:15AM
localguy wrote:
Wrong, Hanna Ba Booza will be looking for a new day job.
on October 29,2012 | 03:21PM
kailuabred wrote:
Get your hanky out on 11/7. You'll be crying a river
on October 29,2012 | 04:23PM
cabot17 wrote:
I voted for Hanabusa!
on October 29,2012 | 07:26AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Wazdat, you are correct. He would do far more than Hanabusa in representing interests. Amazing how so many here would pick an unimpressive rubber stamp over Djou simply because of the D.
on October 29,2012 | 07:53AM
Leinanij wrote:
Seriously? What did he ever do for his council district?
on October 29,2012 | 08:57AM
whs1966 wrote:
"Djou, who is campaigning as a centrist, ..." Let's remember that although Djou, like Lingle, campaigns as a centrist or a bipartisan politician, there is no such thing as a Republican centrist or moderate at the national level.
on October 29,2012 | 04:33AM
wiliki wrote:
Yes the Tea Partiers have taken over the Republican Party. Too bad for Republicans.
on October 29,2012 | 05:41AM
allie wrote:
yup
on October 29,2012 | 06:28AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Claiming the tea party has taken over the republican party is as silly as saying the communists have taken over the democrats. Try and post something that actually makes some sense.
on October 29,2012 | 08:23AM
tiki886 wrote:
But we do have a commie in the White House.
on October 29,2012 | 09:23AM
kailuabred wrote:
That's as dumb as the tea party comment
on October 29,2012 | 10:05AM
Pacej001 wrote:
Wouldn't want you to be feeding a parking meter waiting for that to happen.
on October 29,2012 | 09:32AM
hawaiikone wrote:
No worries, I'm not expecting any changes.
on October 29,2012 | 01:54PM
ehrhornp wrote:
The republican party has been totally nuts for decades now. Shame they have dumped their past leaders. Eisenhower wouldn't be accepted today. Nixon, the father of Obama and Romney care, sure wouldn't be, even Uncle Ron would be rejected. At one time the republican party valued history and tradition but apparently no more.
on October 29,2012 | 03:11PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Pot, meet kettle. The democrats are so far left that the great Cold War democrats like Scoop Jackson and Sam Nunn would cross the street rather than have to greet Harry Reid. I'll also guarantee that those old-school democrats are turning over in their graves due to the fact that the democrat Senate hasn't passed a budget in four years.
on October 29,2012 | 04:19PM
kailuabred wrote:
Maybe that's because the budgets passed by the House are just as partisan.
on October 29,2012 | 04:25PM
ehrhornp wrote:
How can the democrats be so far left? Obama proposed Nixon care, hardly a far left proposal. You just proved the case that todays republicans are so far nutso right that they have meet communism. I think past republicans would be shocked that when republicans inherited a balanced federal budget in 2001, they soon unbalanced it. Also to have the military sleep on the job is really pathetic. Eisenhower must have spun in his grave.
on October 29,2012 | 09:43PM
wiliki wrote:
Quite true... Obama is more conservative than many Democrats. The Democratic Party is much more conservative for many Party members.
on October 29,2012 | 11:01PM
aomohoa wrote:
Thank you hawaiikone! These paid rail bloggers are telling the same old lies and bull! I can't wait until they are out of a job.
on October 29,2012 | 07:50PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Olympia Snow and Collins, and Scott Brown, all Republican senators, were/are moderates. I think it would be safer to say that the democrat party, under Obama's influence, has slipped into the radical left wing category.
on October 29,2012 | 09:31AM
Kapakahi wrote:
Olympia Snowe quit with the frustrations of having to deal with her rabid Republican colleagues. And Scott Brown is the Number One recipient of Wall Street political contributions. Despite his pose as a "pick truck-driving regular guy," he is a complete tool for the monied interests who dominate this country.
on October 29,2012 | 12:44PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Have you looked into the level of corporate/Wall St. donations to democrats, to Obama? Maybe you should try that.
on October 29,2012 | 02:19PM
kailuabred wrote:
Doesn't even come close to those to Romney
on October 29,2012 | 04:25PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Given Obama's mishandling of the economy, continued stagnant GDP growth, and threat to raise taxes when the economy can least tolerate it, why is it a surprise that business people favor Romney, someone who has actually had a job, run a business, understands business and economics?
on October 29,2012 | 05:08PM
aomohoa wrote:
Yup. He sold out to Wall street and that is when I gave up on him.
on October 29,2012 | 07:51PM
Dragonman wrote:
Well said. If Lingle would do all the things she says she well do she would be a Democratic. So why is she not running as a DEMOCRAT, because she is a Republican. She will support the Republican platform. Don't be fooled by her attempt to fool you into thinking she is a moderate.
on October 29,2012 | 10:36AM
ehrhornp wrote:
I agree. Sweet Linda is no democrat. When she vetoed civil unions as she considered them marriage, I realized then that she is just a rabid conservative who believes in government running people's lives. Well I don't need big Gov.. telling me who I can and cannot marry. Shame so many phony conservatives do.
on October 29,2012 | 09:46PM
wiliki wrote:
Looks like it's Hanabusa...
on October 29,2012 | 05:39AM
BluesBreaker wrote:
Geev 'em, Colleen!!!
on October 29,2012 | 05:49AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Colleen Hanabusa -- author of the 36 PERCENT PAY RAISE , while other State workers took pay cuts and/or furloughs. Colleen Hanabusa resident of district 2 yet running in district 1. Rules? I don't need no steeenkin rules...
on October 29,2012 | 07:18AM
nonpolitic wrote:
For some reason, people just don't understand how elected officials' salaries are established. If you all check your facts on this matter, the legislature doesn't establish when or how much they make. An independent salary commission does that for all state elected officials, judges, and state department heads. In comparison, Djou's salary as a councilmember in 2005 was higher than what the speaker of the house and the president of the senate made in 2010. Furthermore, Djou even voted against pay raises for himself (at least 4 while he was at the council), but had no problem taking any of them each time their salary went up. Talk about a hypocrite. Additionally, the US Constitution DOES NOT REQUIRE a candidate to live in the congressional district for which they are running.
on October 29,2012 | 08:21AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Funny how that works. I can't vote for district 2 when I live in district 1 but Colleen who lived in district 2 can run in district 1. For some reason, people just don't understand how salaries are established. If Djou voted against the pay raise that Hanabusa voted for and pushed for, he can't very well refuse the raise because as you say, an independent salary commission determines what his pay is. Of course the word independent is questionable because we live in such a small community and an independent body might contain your own relatives and friends.
on October 29,2012 | 08:37AM
nonpolitic wrote:
The real question then is, why bring the salary question up at all if you know that's how elected officials' salaries are established?
on October 29,2012 | 10:40AM
loquaciousone wrote:
Sorry I they don't allow me to draw pictures on this forum.
on October 29,2012 | 12:20PM
nonpolitic wrote:
That could be a good quip if your original statement was accurate.
on October 29,2012 | 04:00PM
bikemom wrote:
It's difficult to compare salaries at the county and state levels because the council meets all year while the legislature is in session less than half a year.
on October 29,2012 | 12:45PM
nonpolitic wrote:
Check again, there's a lot going on at the square building even when the legislature isn't in session. Just ask Donna Kim ;-)
on October 29,2012 | 03:57PM
aomohoa wrote:
Why don't people remember facts like this?
on October 29,2012 | 07:52PM
nonpolitic wrote:
It seems that people aren't interested in facts. They just remember what they want to believe. That's why.
on October 30,2012 | 09:42AM
MakaniKai wrote:
Bought and paid for by UNIONS. Simple as that! Aloha.
on October 29,2012 | 07:35AM
false wrote:
Personally, I'm not impressed with Mazie or Colleen. However, I'd vote for them any day over Lingle and Djou just to prevent the Republicans from gaining any more seats and power in the Senate and House. Simple as that.
on October 29,2012 | 07:38AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Incredibly shortsighted viewpoint.
on October 29,2012 | 07:50AM
nalogirl wrote:
Yup, very short sighted. What a ridiculous reason to vote for these two whop will just do the bidding of Dan Inouye. We need some new blood. I'm voting for Lingle.
on October 29,2012 | 08:32AM
false wrote:
not short sighted at all. Realistic. And the reality is that Lingle and Djou will vote the Republican line. All I expect from Hirono and Hanabusa is that they support Obama. That's it. And in this election, that's enough.
on October 29,2012 | 08:57AM
Dragonman wrote:
Well said false. If the Republicans gain control of the senate and remain in control of the House we will see drastic changes done to medicare and social security, the 1% will not pay their fair share of taxes and the middle class will suffer. If one thinks the rich create jobs like the Republicans keep saying, than where are the Jobs, we should be neck deep in jobs as the rich have had a tax break for 8 years now. Obama said it would be a long hard fight to get the economy back to where it was before 2008. Romney keeps criticizing Obama and yet he has no concrete plan to turn things around other thant to extend tax cuts to the 1%, ( which has not worked over the last 8 years ), what our country needs is a strong and healthy middle class because they are the consumers that drive the economy.
on October 29,2012 | 10:51AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Like I said, shortsighted. Rather than vote to preserve your benefits, you should be voting to preserve the money to pay for them.
on October 29,2012 | 01:57PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Did you miss it? Medicare is going to be bankrupt in about a decade. It will be less and less useful as that failure nears. Vote democrat if that's the outcome you want. The top 10% of taxpayers pay approx. 70% of all income tax revenue. I'm unsure of your definition of fairness if you think they should pay a larger percentage. Businesses hire people unless they perceive the regulatory or tax environment will discourage them from doing so. Obama's tax increases and Obamacare are both job killers in this regard.
on October 29,2012 | 04:56PM
allie wrote:
Lingle is hardly new blood. She is a re-tread.
on October 29,2012 | 01:29PM
allie wrote:
spot-on. You gotta stick with the least worse choice.
on October 29,2012 | 01:28PM
nonpolitic wrote:
That is a very good term, "least worse choice". I like it.
on October 29,2012 | 04:01PM
808Cindy wrote:
I'm voting for Colleen, we need a level headed approach to our nations issues, and I believe she represents the middle class well.
on October 29,2012 | 07:48AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Maybe you should do a little investigative research on the candidates before you decide. TV adds can paint a different picture than reality.
on October 29,2012 | 08:26AM
false wrote:
I know Lingle too well. And I know that she's not the "independent, non-partisan" politician that her commercials portray her to be. She's an ambitious Republican who will say whatever she needs to say to get elected and then, if electe, do whatever she needs to do to rise in the Republican party. That's why she needs to be stopped now.
on October 29,2012 | 09:00AM
tiki886 wrote:
You should have stopped her when she was mayor.
on October 29,2012 | 09:49AM
nonpolitic wrote:
If only we could have voted on Maui back then.
on October 29,2012 | 11:40AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Substitute "Hirono" for Lingle and "Democrat" for Republican, and you have an equally true statement. Including the part about being stopped now.
on October 29,2012 | 02:00PM
NanakuliBoss wrote:
hanabUSA!
on October 29,2012 | 08:08AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
Clearly women should never have been given the right to vote.

(I kid, I kid.)


on October 29,2012 | 08:11AM
loquaciousone wrote:
I hope you know a 24 hour Mcdonalds.
on October 29,2012 | 08:38AM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
If Djou had been able to buy a vowel the election results may be different. Folks don't much like rubbing consonants together at the front of word. That's my scientifically edumacated assessment.
on October 29,2012 | 12:44PM
IAmSane wrote:
Djou really just say that?
on October 29,2012 | 01:14PM
Maneki_Neko wrote:
I djust did.
on October 29,2012 | 03:44PM
HawaiiCheeseBall wrote:
Folks its just a poll designed to sell newsppapers and get everyone all hot and bothered. The only thing tht matters is what happens on election day. No need to post insults, just go out and vote and at the end oif the day respect the outcome.
on October 29,2012 | 10:01AM
IAmSane wrote:
Yeah, man, who cares about statistics and facts?
on October 29,2012 | 01:15PM
false wrote:
false3. Homely Hana has the union votes, just like wimpy Kirk. After uncle Dan dies, will Mufi rise up again? Halloween nightmare.
on October 29,2012 | 10:44AM
MakaniKai wrote:
Garans!!! FrankenMufi feels he is entitled. Aloha
on October 29,2012 | 11:32AM
kainalu wrote:
As a council member, Djou's proposed solution to our traffic woes was to create a toll for those traveling into Honolulu. Imagine having to pay to drive to work or school each day. Djou doesn't get my vote for any office.
on October 29,2012 | 11:34AM
bikemom wrote:
With the increase in electric cars, at some point we'll need to look at other alternatives for funding roadway maintenance.
on October 29,2012 | 12:50PM
nonpolitic wrote:
VERY good point!
on October 30,2012 | 09:43AM
Anonymous wrote:
The people of Hawaii just do not know what they are doing to the future of this State and for their children by continueing to vote democrats into office. The democratic platform, nation wide, supports same sex marriage, abortion and euthanitia. Is that we in Hawaii stand for????
on October 29,2012 | 01:09PM
allie wrote:
huh?
on October 29,2012 | 01:29PM
hawaiikone wrote:
But you told us you were a smart mid westerner. And you can't figure it out?
on October 29,2012 | 02:03PM
kainalu wrote:
To suggest that ANYONE supports abortion is ludircrous. There's a clear difference between supporting a woman's right to choose and abortion.
on October 29,2012 | 03:17PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Not taking sides here, but when you mention a "woman's right to choose" do you mean it's ok to "choose" partial birth abortion or "choose" to abort a viable child during the third trimester? the 9th month? Morally speaking, this right to choose thing just doesn't seem to cover all situations?
on October 29,2012 | 06:37PM
Pacej001 wrote:
Spending bills originate in the House. The senate's job is to respond to the house with a budget resolution. This has been the procedure since 1974, but for 3.5 years the senate has refused to do so. And don't blame filibuster, budget bills are exempt, so this is all on the senate democrats. Why have they done this? I believe that reconciling the House and Senate budget proposals would force the matters of our massive debt, deficits, and entitlement disaster into the public view. That's the last thing the democrats want, since their base consists of those most dependent on government spending and entitlements. The result is no national budget, leaving these great problems to just get worse and worse, all in the name of holding power in the senate and presidency. This is the most irresponsible political act in my life time and the democrats richly deserve to lose power over it.
on October 29,2012 | 05:03PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Latest News/Updates