comscore Documents for state ID card same as for driver’s license | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Kokua Line

Documents for state ID card same as for driver’s license

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Question: About six months ago I legally changed my name, but haven’t got a replacement Social Security card with my new name. In the meantime my Hawaii driver’s license has expired. Not a big deal, since I don’t own a car, but still. I planned to get a Hawaii State ID card, but the application states that “an original Social Security card is required of all eligible applicants.” Your March 6 column said other documents, in addition to a Social Security card, are accepted as proof of one’s Social Security number to the state to obtain a driver’s license, so shouldn’t the same state accept those other documents for a state ID?

Answer: Yes, and it does.

The state ID office is awaiting finalization of new rules to update the previous requirement for an original Social Security card, said Liane Mori­yama, head of the Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center, which oversees the state ID office.

In the meantime, the office is accepting Medicare cards, with the applicant’s Social Security number, or W-2 tax forms with the applicant’s full Social Security number. It also will accept a Hawaii driver’s license, Mori­yama said, since licensees have to show proof of a Social Security number.

Question: Regarding driver’s license renewals, can an expired driver’s license with the Social Security number on it be used as a form of identification?

Answer: No. For proof of birth, the counties will accept a “valid and unexpired driver license, photo learner’s permit or identification card” from “other U.S. state(s) or U.S. territory” if the name, date of birth or Social Security number on it matches other submitted verification documents.

Since most people are taxpayers, an original W-2 form bearing the applicant’s name and Social Security number would be an acceptable document in place of a Social Security card.

Question: You explained how to get a replacement Social Security card, but I don’t have a U.S. passport or birth certificate. How do I get a copy of my birth certificate? I don’t have a computer. I was born in Hono­lulu.

Answer: Since you don’t have a computer to order a copy online (, you can pick up an application at the state Department of Health, 1250 Punchbowl St., Room 103, between 7:45 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. weekdays.

Application forms are available in the lobby. You can apply in person, first filling out the form, then showing a valid government-issued photo ID (such as a state ID, driver’s license, etc.).

You can also mail the application to State Department of Health, Office of Health Status Monitoring,

Issuance/Vital Statistics Section, P.O. Box 3378, Hono­lulu, HI 96801. Your application must include a photocopy of your government-issued photo ID.

The cost is $10 for the first copy and $4 for each additional copy ordered at the same time. Pay either in cash (in person) or by money order, certified check or cashier’s check by mail. Personal checks are not accepted.

You are required to provide information needed to establish your “direct and tangible interest” in the record and to locate it, including name, address and phone number; relationship to the person named on the certificate; reason for request; full name on the certificate; date of birth; place of birth; and full name of father and full maiden name of mother.

For more information, call 586-4539 or 586-4542 during regular business hours.

“Since the new driver’s licensing requirements were first announced, requests for birth certificates have doubled,” said Health Department spokes­woman Janice Okubo.

She warned it may take “a few weeks longer” than previously to send out approved certified copies. By mail it “normally” used to take six to eight weeks.

“Everyone is advised to plan ahead,” Okubo said.

Write to “Kokua Line” at Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; fax 529-4750; or email

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up