Blaze destroys battery building at Kahuku wind energy facility
By Rob Shikina and ‘Alohi Bikle
Aug. 2, 2012
Mahalo for supporting Honolulu Star-Advertiser. Enjoy this free story!
JAY ARMSTRONG / SPECIAL TO THE STAR-ADVERTISER Toxic smoke poured from rooftop vents of the battery storage building at First Wind’s Kahuku wind power facility Wednesday. New Orleans resident Jay Armstrong said he could smell the fumes from 1,500 feet up as he snapped this photo from a tour helicopter.
JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARADVERTISER.COM Smoke blew toward the wind turbines on a Kahuku hill Wednesday as a fire destroyed First Wind’s battery system that transfers power to the electrical grid.