comscore State gets set to replace bridge over Maili Stream | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

State gets set to replace bridge over Maili Stream

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

State Department of Transportation officials say that due to safety and maintenance concerns, they plan to soon replace Maipalaoa Bridge, which spans Maili Stream.

The project to demolish and replace the four-lane bridge along Farrington Highway is expected to go out for bid in October with the notice to proceed for construction estimated for February. Work is slated for completion in July 2018.

The new bridge will remain at four lanes and include widened shoulders.

Officials say four lanes, two in each direction, will remain open during construction. But crews will need to temporarily close left turns into Maipalaoa Road and Maili Beach Park along Farrington Highway. Work will be done in phases, during which crews will shift traffic lanes while working in various sections.

Construction costs will total about $13.8 million, 80 percent of which will be funded by federal dollars and the remaining 20 percent by the state.

ACCORDING to the project’s final environmental assessment, completed in 2011, the bridge, which was built in 1966 and widened in 1969, is “nearing the end of its useful life and is being proactively replaced before any safety issues or significant maintenance issues arise.” Also, the bridge was rated as “structurally deficient” by DOT and does not meet current engineering standards for shoulders and sidewalks, according to the assessment.

“I’m very grateful that the DOT is going to work on this project,” said state Sen. Maile Shimabukuro (D, Kalaeloa-Waianae-Makaha), who lives in Maili. “It’s been long needed to make sure that people can safely cross over the bridge.”

Other project improvements include new pavement and pavement markings, highway lighting, overheard utilities relocation and installation as well as relocation of traffic signals, traffic signs and guardrails.

Work was initially anticipated to start in spring 2013 and take about two years to complete, according to the environmental assessment.

Tercia Ku, a member of the Nanakuli/Maili Neighborhood Board, said, “We out on the West Side feel like we’ve been neglected in many ways with our traffic, sewer lines and road.”

She added, “I think the fact that the bridge really has deteriorated is a safety issue at this point. … I really wish it was being repaired sooner rather than later. But, of course, things like this take time.”

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up