Smoke scare causes evacuation at UH-Manoa's Frear Hall
September 19, 2017 | 78° | Check Traffic

Top News

Smoke scare causes evacuation at UH-Manoa’s Frear Hall



About 200 people staying in the Frear Hall dorm at the University of Hawaii at Manoa evacuated the building last night after smoke filled a unit on the third floor.

Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig said the incident happened at about 10:41 p.m. Firefighters found the third floor unit filled with smoke, which was going out into the hall.

Firefighters determined the smoke was from a malfunctioning ventilation fan in a bathroom. There was no flame or heat damage reported.

Residents returned to the building about an hour to 90 minutes after the alarm when firefighters determined the cause of the smoke.


No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email