Aerial fireworks caused a 24-acre brush fire that came close to homes and closed roads in the Happy Valley area of Wailuku, a Maui County spokeswoman said.
County officials confirmed that fireworks were the cause after residents reported seeing aerial fireworks in the area just before the fire broke out.
The fire was reported on Mokuhau Road at 8 p.m. Sunday and spread to Maika Street. The fire was 60 percent contained as of 6 p.m. yesterday, officials said.
Firefighters from the Wailuku, Kahului, Kihei and Wailea stations were called to fight the brush fire.
North Market Street and Mokuhau Road in Happy Valley were blocked off, but officials reopened the roads at about noon yesterday.
"Our crews worked through the night and were able to protect the surrounding neighborhoods and keep the fire from spreading to nearby homes and businesses," said Battalion Chief James Kino.
Police issued precautionary advisories in case residents needed to evacuate. However, no evacuations were ordered.
Power to the area was cut off at 10:15 p.m. Sunday to protect firefighters and was restored at about 1:30 a.m. yesterday. County officials are urging residents to conserve water in South and Central Maui while water levels are restored because the electricity shut-off affected two wells in Happy Valley.
The fire burned a storage shed, but no other property damage was reported. No costs have yet been determined.