Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Saturday, May 25, 2024 75° Today's Paper

Kokua Line

Selling fish, as pets or food, requires state permits

Question: I saw a homemade sign saying "Reef fish 4 sale." Is this legal? Can someone catch reef fish and sell them from their home, or do they need a permit?

Answer: Whether the fish being sold are for aquariums or for consumption, the state requires a permit.

There’s also the matter of conducting commercial activity in a residential zone.

But regarding permits: The state Department of Land and Natural Resources’ Division of Aquatic Resources requires a permit for anyone using a fine-mesh net to collect aquatic life for an aquarium, whether as pets, scientific study, public display or for sale (under Section 188-31 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes).

A report is required if this is a commercial activity. No fee is charged.

If the fish are for aquariums, sellers are advised to contact the Division of Aquatic Resources at 587-0092 to find out what kind of license or permit might be required for their activity.

If you’re concerned about whether the fish are being illegally sold, contact the division or call DLNR’s Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement at 643-3567.

If the fish are being sold for human consumption, the seller is required to obtain a Food Establishment Permit from the state Department of Health.

If you suspect no permit was obtained, you can report the activity to the department’s Sanitation Branch for investigation, said Sidney Doi, program specialist with the branch.

"Anyone desiring to sell fish should contact us for permit requirements," he said.

On Oahu, call 586-8000; on Kauai, 241-3323; on Maui, 984-8230; in Hilo, 933-0917; and in Kona, 322-1507.

Question: How do we get rid of our fluorescent light bulbs? I know we can’t just throw them away in the trash.

Answer: The city does allow private individuals to dispose of fluorescent tubes or compact fluorescent lights in the regular household trash.

You are advised to wrap them first in newspaper.

But you do have two other options:

» Fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent lights can be taken to the city’s bimonthly Household Hazardous Waste Collection, by appointment.

Call 768-3201 or e-mail info@opala.org.

The next scheduled collection dates are Saturdays: Aug. 7, Oct. 2 and Dec. 18.

For more information, go to hsblinks.com/2jo.

» CFLs (no tubes) can be taken to any Home Depot store on Oahu.

Businesses must follow other procedures and are required to meet the state Department of Health’s disposal guidelines.

You can find information on recycling or disposing of other kinds of materials on the city’s opala.org website. Click on "What to Recycle/How to Dispose of …"


To whoever stole flowers from a grave site at Hawaiian Memorial Park Cemetery. My sister-in-law passed away, and services for her were held June 23, with burial on June 24. Between 4:30 and 5 p.m. I visited her grave site, and all the flowers were there. Between 5:30 and 6 p.m., when my brother-in-law went there, all the flowers except for one bouquet were gone. The people at the cemetery said they didn’t know who would take the flowers. I just wanted to warn people to beware of thieves who would do such a terrible thing. — Bereaved Family

Write to "Kokua Line" at Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; fax 529-4750; or e-mail kokualine@staradvertiser.com.


Comments are closed.