comscore Man charged in attack on Kailua woman | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

Man charged in attack on Kailua woman

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
    Chauncey Ingraham

A 23-year-old woman who was attacked in her Kailua home Sunday fought off her assailant, taking away his knife after he had stabbed her multiple times, and breaking away when the attacker then tried to strangle her, a city prosecutor told a state judge Thursday.

An Oahu grand jury returned an indictment Thursday charging Chauncey Ingraham, 30, with attempted murder, kidnapping, burglary and driving a stolen car.

Circuit Judge Richard Perkins confirmed Ingraham’s bail at $200,000.

Deputy Prosecutor Scott Spallina told Perkins that neighbors saw Ingraham enter the Kaikea Place home wearing a garbage bag over the top part of his body, a hood and gloves. As the neighbors were looking for a telephone to call police, the 23-year-old woman, who lives with her elderly parents, returned home.

Spallina said the woman entered even after noticing that the door was open. Ingraham attacked her as soon as she walked inside.

"He approached her, began to stab her about her body, grabbing her by the arm, standing in front of the bedroom, asking if she was alone, admitting at a certain point that he was going to kill her," Spallina said.

He said the woman was able to grab the blade and take it away from Ingraham before dropping it on the floor. At that point, Spallina said, Ingraham put his hands over her mouth and around her throat in an attempt to strangle her.

The woman broke free and Ingraham fled in a stolen car, Spallina said.

Police arrested Ingraham about 40 minutes later at Waimanalo Town Center.

An ambulance took the woman to an area hospital in serious condition with multiple stab wounds.

At the time of his arrest, Ingraham, who has no local address, had an outstanding $150 bench warrant for failing to appear for an arraignment in Honolulu District Court on May 15. Police had cited him on April 17 for entering or remaining in a public park at night after the park had closed.

In June 2013, police arrested Ingraham for petty misdemeanor criminal property damage at the Ross store in Kapolei.

A district judge ordered Ingraham into the custody of the state health director for placement in the Hawaii State Hospital on Sept. 5, 2013, after a psychologist reported that Ingraham was mentally unfit to stand trial and posed a risk of danger to himself and others.

Another judge found Ingraham fit to stand trial on Oct. 31, 2013.

On Nov. 6 last year, yet another judge found Ingraham guilty and sentenced him to 10 days in jail.

Ingraham completed his sentence on Dec. 30 when he repaid Ross for the damage he caused.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up