A kitchen fire caused $50,000 in damage and prompted the evacuation of about 80 restaurant staff and guests at the Mediterranean Gourmet restaurant in Haena on Thursday evening.
Restaurant staff brought the fire under control using hand-held fire extinguishers and garden hoses.
Firefighters exposed a portion of the roof, removed the damaged mechanical roof mounted vent and extinguished the remaining areas that were burning in the crawl space above the grill. They also used a vent fan to ventilate the main seating area of the restaurant.
The fire was first reported a 8:40 p.m. and was deemed fully extinguished at approximately 9:45 p.m.