comscore Fatal fire in Makiki was caused by food left cooking unattended | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Fatal fire in Makiki was caused by food left cooking unattended

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
    Police closed Kewalo Street between Wilder Ave. and Lunalilo St. after a building fire.

Honolulu fire investigators have determined the fire that destroyed 80 percent of a Makiki home and killed a 57-year-old man on Oct. 10 was caused by overcooked food left unattended.

The Medical Examiner’s office has not released the identity of the victim pending notification of relatives.

A 25-year-old female was trapped in the back of the Kewalo Street one-story home, but was able to escape with the assistance of neighbors. However, firefighters were unable to enter the burning structure because the roof had collapsed.

The victim was one of three occupants of the home, and the only one inside at the time of the fire, which was fully extinguished by 12:33 p.m. Thirteen fire companies staffed with 49 personnel responded to a three-alarm building fire.

Investigators determined the fire originated in the kitchen and was accidental. Damage has been estimated at $380,000 to the structure and $40,000 to its contents.

Fire investigators are still trying to determine the origin of a two-alarm fire that damaged a Waianae duplex Monday night.

One man was at home at 85-229 Ala Akau St. when firefighters responded at 8:14 p.m. Paramedics treated him for smoke inhalation.

Damage was estimated at $200,000 to the first unit and $25,000 to an adjoining structure. 

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up