comscore 911 caller in San Bernardino school shooting: ‘I’m scared’ | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

911 caller in San Bernardino school shooting: ‘I’m scared’

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Staff greet students at North Park Elementary School, at Cajon High School, in San Bernardino, Calif., after a deadly shooting occurred at the elementary school. Police on Friday, April 14, released portions of the 911 calls from the shooting that left a teacher and student dead.

LOS ANGELES >> A panicked 911 caller immediately identified a teacher’s husband as the man who opened fire at a San Bernardino elementary school and told the dispatcher that she had locked herself in the office.

Police on Friday released portions of the emergency calls from the shooting this week that killed a special-education teacher and her student. In one of the short tapes, a caller says a teacher had been shot by her husband and describes his clothing.

“I’m scared,” the caller says before the tape cuts out.

Cedric Anderson walked into his estranged wife’s classroom at North Park Elementary on Monday and fired 10 rounds from a .357 Magnum before turning the gun on himself, authorities said.

He targeted Karen Smith but also struck two of her students: 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez, who died, and a 9-year-old boy who was expected to recover.

Anderson had accused Smith of infidelity just weeks into their marriage, prompting her to move out of their home, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said. Police have said there was no evidence of unfaithfulness. When Anderson failed to win her back, he killed her, Burguan said.

Smith told family members that Anderson had threatened her after she moved out last month, but she didn’t take him seriously and thought he was just seeking attention, the police chief said.

The young victim, Martinez, had previously survived heart surgery and had Williams syndrome, a rare genetic disorder characterized by learning delays, mild-to-moderate intellectual disabilities and heart problems.

School officials said he was a happy child who loved music and playing with friends.

The wounded boy, Nolan Brandy, was “recovering better than we expected,” his parents said in an CNN interview Friday.

“He’s in really good spirits, he’s upbeat,” father Leon Brandy said.

The boy was shot in the torso, but the bullet missed all of his vital organs, said Maria Garcia, a San Bernardino schools spokeswoman. He was released from the hospital Friday.

Police were still interviewing witnesses in their investigation, a police spokesman said. The school is expected to reopen Monday.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up