Lit cigarette suspected cause of Kauai fire that destroyed 2 homes
May 25, 2017 | 70° | Check Traffic

Top News

Lit cigarette suspected cause of Kauai fire that destroyed 2 homes


A lit cigarette is believed to be the cause of last week’s brush fire in Koloa that destroyed two homes and damaged others, according to fire investigators.

Investigators said the fire originated near Ala Kinoiki Street and spread to the residential neighborhood along Kipuka Street. In a news release, Capt. Daryl Date of the Fire Prevention Bureau said, “While there is no reason to believe this fire was intentionally set, we continue to urge the public to never throw cigarettes on the ground or out of a car window.”

Kauai’s agricultural landscape can become susceptible to wildfires, especially during these hot, dry months, he added. 

The Aug. 18 brush fire scorched 50 acres. Damage was estimated $950,000 in to structures. 

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email