Neighbors hear smoke alarm, save man from Ewa Beach fire
May 23, 2017 | 77° | Check Traffic

Top News

Neighbors hear smoke alarm, save man from Ewa Beach fire


A smoke detector and responsible neighbors helped a 56-year-old man survive a potentially life-threatening situation in Ewa Beach tonight.

Firefighters were called to a Puaniu Street address around 9 p.m. after neighbors heard the man’s smoke detector beeping and saw smoke escaping through a window in the unit. The firefighters forced open the man’s front door and found him passed out in the bathroom while food was burning on his stove, according to Honolulu Fire Department spokesperson Capt. Carlton Yamada.

The man was transported by Emergency Medical Services to an area hospital in serious condition with complications from apparent intoxication and smoke inhalation.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email