Maui restaurant worker suffers minor burns in stove fire
May 28, 2017 | 78° | Check Traffic

Top News

Maui restaurant worker suffers minor burns in stove fire


A 52-year-old Maui restaurant worker suffered minor burns in a stove fire shortly after noon Monday in Kahului.

Maui firefighters responded to a 12:08 p.m. alarm for a structure fire at Dragon Dragon Restaurant, 70 E. Kaahumanu Ave., located in the Maui Mall.

Crews arrived to find the fire out and the restaurant patrons had evacuated.

The automatic fire sprinkler system extinguished the fire, which was contained to the stove.

The cause was determined to be a malfunctioning valve on the stove, and determined to be accidental, a fire official said.

The male worker had minor burns to his face and arms, but refused medical transport.

Damage was estimated at $500. There was minor water damage to the ceiling tiles. No food was lost.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email