Fire causes $50,000 damage to McCully apartment
May 29, 2017 | 72° | Check Traffic

Top News

Fire causes $50,000 damage to McCully apartment


A kitchen fire Thursday caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to a McCully apartment and its contents on Citron Street.

Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said that a woman living in the home left a pot of oil unattended on the stove. The oil overheated and caught on fire.

A neighbor on the upper floor tried to douse the fire with a fire extinguisher. He was checked for smoke inhalation, but required no treatment or transport, Seelig said. No one else was injured.

A man who lived at the apartment was not home at the time.

The fire was reported at 3 p.m. and extinguished at 3:15 p.m.

Seelig said the fire caused heavy damage to the kitchen and smoke damage to the entire apartment on the bottom floor of a two-story walkup on Citron Street. No other apartment was damaged.

The Red Cross was called to assist the couple with accommodations.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email