Quick action by a resident contained a fire in a garage under a 2-story home in Lahiana Friday evening.
Maui County firefighters responded to a report of smoke and flames coming from the home, but the son of the homeowner was able to put out the fire before crews arrived.
A Maui Fire Department spokesman said that a light fixture outside the garage caught fire and the fire started moving up the wooden walls and under a balcony above the garage.
A caretaker took the man’s mother out of the home, while the son extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher.
Damage was contained to the light fixture, wooden panels surrounding the light fixture and a wooden beam. No structural damage was found. Damage is estimated at $500.
The fire is considered accidental, caused by a faulty light fixture.