May 1, 2016 | 78° | Check Traffic

Top News

Overheated batteries caused Ewa Beach townhouse fire

  • CTY - Firefighters investigate the burned remains of a townhouse unit on Sunday

    CTY - Firefighters investigate the burned remains of a townhouse unit on Sunday
  • February 2
    February 2

The fire that burned four units at a townhouse complex in Ewa Beach Feb. 1 was accidentally set when batteries used for radio-controlled airplanes overheated.

Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said the batteries were being charged on a table in the garage of one of the units. The batteries overheated igniting a fire that spread to four units in the Arbors complex on Laaulu Street.

Damage to the four units was estimated at $680,000.

The townhouse complex consists of seven units, but only four of them suffered damages.

No comments
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.