Quantcast

Tuesday, July 29, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 2 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fire at Foster Village home caused by electrical malfunction

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 08:09 a.m. HST, Mar 16, 2013


A fire that gutted a home in Foster Village Wednesday was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet in the garage, fire officials said Friday.

The Honolulu Fire Department said its investigators determined the fire at 1231 Kukila St. was accidental. No one was injured, although four people were in the home and able to escape.

The home was engulfed in flames at about 5:32 p.m., and firefighters had the fire under control at 5:55 p.m. It was fully extinguished by 8:03 p.m.

Damage was estimated at $350,000, and an addition $25,000 for two vehicles that were in the garage.

Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL







 Print   Email   Comment | View 2 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(2)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
olos73 wrote:
Eventhough his house was burned down, the owner, Mr. Yee should be commended for what he did. He gave the renters back their $3,000 deposit so they could get back on their feet. Good things will come to you, Mr. Yee. You have a big heart even through this disaster.
on March 15,2013 | 06:56PM
harley1 wrote:
Electrical malfunction. Now that is some stellar, ace reporting SA!. More details are required. As this was an older home, did it have aluminum wiring? Aluminum wiring has been the culprit in many fires nationwide as a result of its higher coefficient of expansion when warmed by current flow. Over time this will loosen connections, such as those screws on the back of electrical devices and can eventually get warm/hot enough to start a fire. It is a very slow process, and can be evidenced by an odd smell within the building that can be difficult to locate. It was common in the 70's to wire with aluminum wiring.
on March 15,2013 | 08:12PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News
Blogs
Political Radar
`My side’

Political Radar
‘He reminds me of me’

Bionic Reporter
Needing a new knee

Warrior Beat
Monday musings

Small Talk
Burning money

Political Radar
On policy

Warrior Beat
Apple fallout