Sunday, April 20, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 11 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Van ends up in ocean off Hauula

By Star-Advertiser staff

LAST UPDATED: 06:18 a.m. HST, Sep 15, 2013

A SpeediShuttle transport van driver escaped serious injury Saturday morning when the vehicle he was operating veered off Kamehameha Highway and into the ocean.

The incident occurred between Pokiwai Place and Makao Road in Hauula.

The driver suffered minor injuries. There were no passengers on board at the time of the crash.

COMMENTS

Slow wrote:
I love the wording. No one's fault. The darn van just "veered off Kamehameha Highway." Thank goodness there were no passengers when the vehicle decided to "veer off Kamehameha Hwy." Obviously the hapless driver was a victim of this bad van's decision making.
on September 14,2013 | 09:28PM
palani wrote:
"A pedestrian hit me and went under my car."
"The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention."
"I had been learning to drive with power steering. I turned the wheel to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction going the opposite way."
"Coming home, I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have."
"I thought my window was down; but found it was up when I put my hand through it."
"No one was to blame for the accident, but it never would have happened if the other driver had been alert."
"The pedestrian had no idea which direction to go, so I ran over him."
"I saw the slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the hood of my car."
"I had been driving for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident."

Fuuny Car Accident Explanations

on September 15,2013 | 05:51AM
HonoluluHawaii wrote:
"I drank too many beers and I fell asleep" sounds plausible because it incriminates oneself. Only explanations that incriminates oneself are accepted, because the man above seen what happened. If this driver is given a second chance next time a person could be run over. If I was running that company I would fire this driver. No sense take that chance and bring down the entire company later.
on September 15,2013 | 12:08PM
niimi wrote:
I surmise this airport shuttle driver was looking at his smartphone and veered.
on September 14,2013 | 09:40PM
With so little information in this article, how can we tell? Maybe it was mechanical failure. Maybe it was an inattentive driver. Maybe the driver had a medical problem.
on September 14,2013 | 10:32PM
Porkchop wrote:
The reporter's are just listening to what the cops are telling them. The cops know he fell asleep but did not release to press.
on September 14,2013 | 11:09PM
You probably came closest to the truth. This reporter got the scanty details of the police blotter. Easiest way to earn a living, just copy info off the blotter and post it. The rest is easy, wait for the pay-off.
on September 15,2013 | 08:02AM
omd111 wrote:
Mysteriously veered off the road in Hauula. More likely TEXTING and not paying attention to the road.
on September 15,2013 | 06:54AM
beachbum11 wrote:
That is how that company communicates with it is drivers. Using tablets and text messaging. I see it all the time at the airport. Speddie is what the driver was doing. The sheriffs have given those drivers a lot of speeding tickets at the airport.
on September 15,2013 | 09:29AM
808warriorfan wrote:
The driver did pass a alcohol and drug test but was terminated for being uncooperative in the investigation.....thank God no one was in the van other than the driver
on September 15,2013 | 08:10PM