Saturday, April 19, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 7 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Entrepreneur, founder of C. June Shoes dies

By Erika Engle

LAST UPDATED: 01:18 p.m. HST, Dec 12, 2013

George F. Lee / glee@staradvertiser.com June Mulhall, shown with son Guy West, will sell C. June Shoes in Ward Warehouse. Mulhall, the founder, has been selling shoes since 1979.

June Mulhall, founder of C. June Shoes at Ward Warehouse, died peacefully in her sleep overnight Sunday. She was 76.

A breast cancer and stomach tumor survivor, "she was tough as nails," said her daughter Yvonne West Palma, who arrived from California earlier this week, as did her sister Rushelle West-Vasak.

Their brother Guy West helped his mother in the store and would bring in meals, as they were the only two employees in recent months.

In May, Mulhall announced plans to sell the store and retire, but with only two years remaining on the lease, no deals have come to fruition.

"We're glad she went to sleep and had a great dream and didn't wake up," West-Palma said.

Mulhall's ashes will be scattered during a private family ceremony and there will be a by-invitation celebration of life at her Kahala home.

"She'd want everybody to have a cocktail wearing some crazy aloha outfit," West Palma said, "to say June we love you and will miss drinking with you. We're glad you're resting in peace."

C. June Shoes at Ward Warehouse is open for business, as required under its lease.

COMMENTS

Solara wrote:
There goes an icon. Thank you for sharing your passion for shoes with us for so many years, June!
on December 12,2013 | 07:56AM
PUEOMANOA wrote:
What a nice lady she was -
on December 12,2013 | 09:05AM
raiderfan wrote:
I remember C.Junes shoes when it was in the Waikiki Trade Center over 20 years ago. My store was also located there and I was fortunate to meet June at a store owner's meeting. What a wonderful positive lady. She was an inspiration to all small business owners. She must have made a lot of friends throughout her life doing what she did best, fitting the perfect shoe. Rest in peace June.
on December 12,2013 | 09:06AM
wahine wrote:
I remember her from those days of the Waikiki Trade Center as well. At the time, I was a punk (bus boy) working in a restaurant next to her store. She always treated me with kindness & dignity. So much so that when I was fired from the establishment, June invited me to attend a motivational seminar she was attending that night with her family. She even insisted on paying my $100 entry fee because she knew that I was down on my luck. I NEVER forgot this gesture and will remember it for the rest of my life. RIP June. My deepest condolences and sympathies to her family.
on December 12,2013 | 10:55AM
wahine wrote:
I also forgot to mention, on the days that I was working behind the bar, she would make paper airplanes out of $5 bills and expertly navigate them into the tip jar. So many happy memories of this kind lady.
on December 12,2013 | 10:59AM
LanaUlulani wrote:
This is sad news. My paternal grandmother Rose loved her store and her. My aloha goes out to her 'ohana.
on December 12,2013 | 12:14PM
Kealaula wrote:
So her ohana has to interview, hire, train staff, learn her business and how to operate it without her there to teach them bookkeeping , ordering, sales, how to file all the reports and taxes, and deal with their grief at the same time? Because she had a lease? Wow. Chilling. Prayers for her and her family.
on December 13,2013 | 03:44AM