Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 11 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Justin Bieber apologizes for racial slur joke

By Associated Press

LAST UPDATED: 05:12 p.m. HST, Jun 01, 2014

NEW YORK >> Justin Bieber is apologizing after a years-old video surfaced showing the then-teenager telling a racist joke with the N-word.

In a statement Sunday to The Associated Press, Bieber said when he was a kid he didn't realize how certain words could hurt. He says he learned from his mistakes and apologized for them, and now is apologizing again because they have become public.

"I'm very sorry," Bieber said. "I take all my friendships with people of all cultures very seriously and I apologize for offending or hurting anyone with my childish and inexcusable behavior."

The British tabloid The Sun first published the video, which is five years old. In it, a then 15-year-old Bieber tells a joke about black people that has the racial epithet as the punchline. Before he says it, someone warns him not to -- but he says it anyway amid laughter.

"I thought it was ok to repeat hurtful words and jokes, but I didn't realize at the time that it wasn't funny and that in fact my actions were continuing the ignorance," the statement said. "Thanks to friends and family I learned from my mistakes and grew up and apologized for those wrongs. Now that these mistakes from the past have become public I need to apologize again to all of those who I have offended."

It's the latest controversy for Bieber, who over the past couple of years has dealt with brushes with the law and other problems that have dealt a blow to his once wholesome image. The video was taken when Bieber was just emerging as a pop sensation.

In his statement, Bieber said that "ignorance has no place in our society and I hope the sharing of my faults can prevent others from making the same mistake in the future.

"I thought long and hard about what I wanted to say but telling the truth is always what's right."

He ends the statement by saying "Once again ... I'm sorry."

COMMENTS

Hope he means what he sezs.
on June 1,2014 | 02:25PM
MrMililani wrote:
The kid was an insensitive jerk when he was fifteen...and he still is.
on June 1,2014 | 03:22PM
MillionMonkeys wrote:
Yep, hope this is already a non-issue. Hope he straightens up the other things going on in his life.
on June 1,2014 | 04:32PM
inverse wrote:
Hope people stop buying his concert tickets and put him in retirement like Mel Gibson or Michael Richards
on June 1,2014 | 05:35PM
How about an apology for being Justin Bieber.
on June 1,2014 | 06:42PM
WalkoffBalk wrote:
Take away his ownership of the Clippers
on June 1,2014 | 09:41PM
EducatedLocalBoy wrote:
Justin needs to be banned from entering the U.S. as an undesirable alien. Time and time again he has shown a callous disregard of other people. Like the time he caused tens of thousands of dollars of damage when he vandalized his neighbor's house. He doesn't do harmless pranks. He obviously derives pleasure of doing mean things to others. He made enough of money off of Americans --- ban him from the U.S. Of course this will never happen because too many people make too much money off of his performances and products that are sold in the U.S.
on June 1,2014 | 10:28PM
kahuku01 wrote:
This is the result of a child with a lot of money, body guards, lawyers (want his money) crazy fans and of course, the media that's always writing about every little incident that occurs. Money makes a young person poison his attitude and actions and thinks his "King Dodo." He's following the same footsteps as Britney Spears and Paris Hilton when they became rich and famous during her childhood years. They've both have toned down quite considerably and cleaned up their act and doing fine. Usually a rich and famous child must learn to grow up, become matured and realize that it's time to take things seriously instead of always drawing attention to themselves and could careless about how society is being affected. He really needs to grow up and act like a person with a positive attitude and be an example so that the world will cheer him on.
on June 2,2014 | 05:02AM
hawaiikone wrote:
Who's Justin Beeber?
on June 2,2014 | 05:53AM
kahuku01 wrote:
He's just an immature show-off child acting big deal because he's got money. The child should wear a shirt instead of a tank top especially when he's got no muscles, skin and bones. It'll take a while for him to grow up from his immature lifestyle, like how Britney Spears and Paris Hilton conduct themselves.
on June 2,2014 | 09:57AM
Rickyboy wrote:
HEY USHER THAT'S WHAT YOUR PROTEGE THINKS OF YOU !!!!!
on June 2,2014 | 11:36AM