Quantcast

Wednesday, July 23, 2014         

 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

'Pillowcase Rapist' is released to Los Angeles County

By Tami Abdollah

Associated Press

POSTED:
LAST UPDATED: 01:08 p.m. HST, Jul 09, 2014


LOS ANGELES >> The so-called "Pillowcase Rapist" was released from a mental hospital and moved into an Antelope Valley home amid protests by the community Wednesday.

Christopher Hubbart, 63, was released from Coalinga State Hospital to an unincorporated area of the county near Palmdale, according to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.

He was dropped off at 1:40 p.m. in a silver car and hid his face as he walked into the back of the house while staff unloaded suitcases, said Cheryl Holbrook, an area resident who is one of the Ladies of Lake LA, a community group created to fight Hubbart's release to their community. She said a couple guards went in the house and remained with him and two sheriff's patrol cars are on the corner of the street.

"It scares the hell out of me," Holbrook said. "When we saw him coming down the road, I literally got the shakes. I wanted to cry. He's going to reoffend, he's going to attack somebody again, and he's going to take somebody's life."

The decision by a Northern California judge to release 63-year-old Christopher Evans Hubbart to a desert community in the Antelope Valley has been met by vociferous opposition from the Los Angeles County district attorney and others. Hubbart has acknowledged raping and assaulting about 40 women between 1971 and 1982. He got his nickname by using a pillowcase to muffle victims' screams.

Hubbart was ordered released by Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Gilbert Brown to Los Angeles County last year because he was born and raised there; his more recent crimes were committed in Santa Clara County. When his prison term ended in 1996, he was deemed a sexually violent predator and confined to a state mental hospital.

Release terms require him to wear a GPS ankle bracelet, continue treatment, obey a curfew and be subject to random searches and seizures, drug testing and polygraphs.







 Print   Email   Comment | View 3 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

COMMENTS
(3)
You must be subscribed to participate in discussions
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. Because only subscribers are allowed to comment, we have your personal information and are able to contact you. If your comments are inappropriate, you may receive a warning, and if you persist with such comments you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email commentfeedback@staradvertiser.com.
Leave a comment

Please login to leave a comment.
AFishOutofH20 wrote:
Death by firing squad!!!!!!!!
on July 9,2014 | 02:06PM
false wrote:
Let's see if this guy will go straight and stay out of trouble. I really hope he doesn't hurt anyone.
on July 9,2014 | 02:23PM
AhiPoke wrote:
In cases like this, the judge has no accountability for any adverse results of letting this guy go. If he did, my guess is he'd rot in prison.
on July 9,2014 | 04:22PM
IN OTHER NEWS
Breaking News