JOHN BERGER / JBERGER@STARADVERTISER.COM KOALOHA CELEBRATES
1. Alvin “Papa KaAloha” Okami, left, celebrated the 15th Anniversary of KoAloha Ukuleles with his wife, Patricia, his sons Paul and Alan, and several hundred guests -- ukulele virtuosos Gordon Mark and Herb Ohta Jr., among them -- July 19 at the Willows. Okami began making ukuleles at the suggestion of Roy Sakuma and KoAloha has become a popular brand.
JOHN BERGER / JBERGER@STARADVERTISER.COM PAXTON TOPS IN “NINE”
5. Larry Paxton was joined by Cathy Foy as he came out to meet the audience after the closing night performance of “Nine” Saturday at Army Community Theatre. Paxton was superb as filmmaker Guido Contini, and Foy was so hot as Sarraghina that the show had to stop after her big number until the audience was finished applauding. For a full review see tgif.staradvertiser.comm
JOHN BERGER / JBERGER@STARADVERTISER.COM UKE FESTIVAL “FOUR-0”
3. Bryan Tolentino, left, talked with Yuji Igarashi, Del Beazley and Nico’o Salsac at Roy Sakuma’s 40th Annual Ukulele Festival July 18 at the Kapiolani Park Bandstand. Igarashi was one of several Japanese artists who came to Hawaii to play in the festival. Salsac represented France.
JOHN BERGER / JBERGER@STARADVERTISER.COM “MEASURE” OPENS
4. Linda Johnson, second from left, director of the Hawaii Shakespeare Festival production of “Measure for Measure,” joined cast members Reb Beau Allen (Vincentio), left, Stephen Mead (Angelo) and Danielle Vivarttas-Ahrnsbrak (Isabella) as they talked with the actor currently known as Q last Friday at The ARTS at Marks Garage.
JOHN BERGER / JBERGER@STARADVERTISER.COM “TABLE FOR 30, PLEASE”
2. John Michael White and Qi Gao hosted a party within a party at the Taste of Kahala last Saturday at the Kahala Hotel & Resort.