comscore Two students arrested and two people treated for chemical exposure at Kapolei High | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Two students arrested and two people treated for chemical exposure at Kapolei High

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

 

Two Kapolei High School students were arrested, and an employee was sent to the hospital for lightheadedness and nausea after a plastic bottle exploded in a campus restroom just before noon today.

The two juvenile males were arrested for reckless endangering, a police spokeswoman said. 

The explosion caused by what firefighters described as a “chemical pressure bomb” occurred in a boys’ restroom in “G” Building.

Two adults, both of whom appeared to be security guards, were treated for chemical exposure at about 1 p.m. today, said Bryan Cheplic, spokesman for the city Emergency Services Department.

One of the injured, a woman in her 30s, was taken to a hospital in stable condition, Cheplic said. A man who appeared to be in his 40s was treated and released at the scene after complaining of eye irritation.

Sandy Goya, state Department of Education spokeswoman, said police were on campus investigating the incident.

“Everybody seems to be fine,” she said.

The school day at Kapolei High ended five minutes before its scheduled 1:35 p.m. closing, said Principal Elden Esmeralda.

 

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up