comscore Man charged after allegedly leaving an explosive device in Maui bank robbery attempt | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man charged after allegedly leaving an explosive device in Maui bank robbery attempt


  • Police are looking for this man who caused a bomb scare today during an attempted robbery at the First Hawaiian Bank in Kahului.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Maui police have arrested a man who failed to rob a bank in Kahului but left behind a small explosive device.

Lt. Wayne Ibarra said today that 45-year-old Renaldo Villa had been arrested Monday and charged with robbery in the first degree and terroristic threatening in the first degree.

Villa is alleged to have entered a First Hawaiian Bank branch last week and handed a teller a note demanding that money be put in a bag.

Authorities say he didn’t get any, but he left behind a package and said something about blowing up the bank.

Ibarra said the device included a small amount of explosive akin to that in a bottle rocket.

A U.S. Army bomb squad later defused it.

Villa is being held in lieu of $25,000 bail.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up